We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sow overdue

BuriramBuriram Junior Member
edited May 2010 in General Pig Health
My first post. I am an English ex-pat, living in the north east of Thailand.
We have a sow (2nd term) who is now 10 days over her due farrowing date. Although, not massive, she seems very much in-pig. She has now been in the farrowing crate two weeks and is very relaxed. This is driving me nuts:) I have had sows go over by 3 days in the past & have been told that ten days is about as far as they can go over? Any advice/ info very much apprediated.

Comments

• porkyporky Member
    edited April 2010
    are you absolutely sure of you dates?
    i live by the rule that if they go more than a week over you're looking at the next season, so she probably has about another 10 days to go
    any milk yet?
  • rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    She will not be 10 days over unless the litter was dead, it is more likely you have a first service recorded, and she has returned to service three weeks later, expect your litter in about 11 days time.
  • BuriramBuriram Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the input. Fact is she was inseminated using AI & has never returned or shown any signs of a season since & has certainly had no free access to a boar. Apart from being a very good actress, I'm at a loss! As previously stated, she isn't massively heavy, however her udder is well down , her vulva is very soft & enlarged, but she continues to do nothing. I agree with rhodie, personally, I think that whatever is in there is either dead or there isn't anything in there at all. Time will tell.
    edited April 2010
    blonde wrote:
    A Phantom pregnancy!! I hope you will let us all know what she might have had dead or alive.

Phantom pregnancy is exactly what we are thinking, knew dogs occasionally have these, however, we didn't know for sure such things occured in pigs.
    I am sure this is the case. I have actually taken her out of the farrowing crate & on the ground she looks to have 'deflated'. I've stationed her right next door to the boar, so will see what happens over the next day or so.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Buriram wrote:
    Phantom pregnancy is exactly what we are thinking, knew dogs occasionally have these, however, we didn't know for sure such things occured in pigs.
    I am sure this is the case. I have actually taken her out of the farrowing crate & on the ground she looks to have 'deflated'. I've stationed her right next door to the boar, so will see what happens over the next day or so.

Its what is commonly known as a "Food gut". A pregnacy tester is the best way, but I presume you don't have one, so back to your boar is a good option, but that does not mean she will necessarily return as she may be "baron". If you AI'd her and she hasn't been near a boar during that period(not a 3 week return) and she hasn't farrowed on time(small litters extends pregnacy's but only by a couple of days), then as people have rightly said it is a "phantom Pregnacy", and that she is definitely not inpig. I wouldn't be keeping her on farm too much longer thats for sure!
    edited May 2010
    blonde wrote:
    A Phantom pregnancy!! I hope you will let us all know what she might have had dead or alive.

Eighteen days over her due date she produced approx 10 dead piglets ( I say approx, as some of them were so far 'gone' it was difficult to tell which bits belonged to which) They varied in size from minute to very large. Without any warning she produced overnight & is now as bright as a button & looking none the worse for her experience.
  • hello my sow carrying her pregnancy a 117 day today i was worried since i did not see any signs of laboring what should i do i want to save the mother and the baby