We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Anyone any idea why horses hate pigs?

MrBernerMrBerner Member
edited October 2010 in Pig Tales and Stories
Apparently so, but our three seem to get on ok with the pigs but our neighbours horse freaks out and we are told that they shouldnt be kept near each other.

I think its a crock, but you might have other ideas :)

www.talesfromtherock.com

Comments

• BillHooBillHoo Junior Member
    edited April 2009
    Maybe because a playful pig is likely to look up at the underside of a horse and reach up to bite at whatever is dangling!

Visualize it!

Now you can't UNTHINK IT!

:D
  • MrBernerMrBerner Member
    edited April 2009
    But what if its a Lady horse, no dangly bits :)
  • specklesspeckles Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    I have three horses and they all get along as a matter of fact you can see them out in the pasture eating together. I also have a salcata tortoise who is huge and weighs around 100 pounds and my pig hangs around with him as well. It just may be that your horses need more time but I can tell you that my pig got in the way of one of my horses while it was frisky and got trampled trying to get away luckily she rolled and wasn't hurt but you have to be careful. I think she learned her lesson and stays out of their way when they are playing.
  • karenbrat1karenbrat1 Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    A horse is afraid of anything it hasn't seen before, or seen enough of to know it won't hurt it. If kept next to pigs it will eventually get used to them. But I would be afraid to let horses and pigs run in the same pasture unless it was a really big pasture with plenty of room for them to keep away from each other, for fear the horses would accidentally run over the pigs, which aren't fast enough to dodge out of the way. Also, some horses get aggressive with other animals and will bite or strike them.
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    do you grow pigs or do you sell DVD's You seem to agree with blonde a fair bit. I think I know the answer.......you sell DVD's not pigs at all
  • MrBernerMrBerner Member
    edited October 2009
    I have just bought a cow, fed up with trying to get the goats to give in an be milked. 8 plus litres of milk a day will be enough for us, the dogs, the pigs, cream, cheese, yoghurts....hmmm maybe the pigs can go without!

Pigs are soon off to the land of the big sleep, 3 weeks to go!

www.talesfromtherock.com
  • VinVin Member
    edited May 2010
    Hey, Vin here. I have two horses and they get along fine with my hogs. They are located rather close with each other. My neighbor has horses also, two of them are located close to my hogs as well. Like ANYTHING the first few times.. horses tend to be wary with something new. It didn't take long at all, while walking them past the hogs, for them to become accustomed. Rumor possibly.. they say the "Pig" is part of the "Bear" family and we all know how a horse responds to them. Boils down to just doing the ground work with a horse and like I've mentioned that goes for anything with your horse. I walked into my two horses paddock the other day with a pair of plyers and a scewdriver. They both thought, by the looks of them, holy crap what does he have in his hands. By just persisting gently they soon had no worries. I've done this with lots of items.. motor bikes, hogs, tools, power tools etc. Hogs actually make a good tool for sacking out a horse.
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    MrBerner wrote:
    Apparently so, but our three seem to get on ok with the pigs but our neighbours horse freaks out and we are told that they shouldnt be kept near each other.

www.talesfromtherock.com
    I think it depends on where and how they a brought up as to whether they like each other or not.
  • edited August 2010
    MrBerner wrote:

www.talesfromtherock.com

In my experience of keeping horses and pigs over the last three year, the more highly strung horses do baulk when the pigs are around but calmer horses can co exist quite happily.
  • edited August 2010
    I think it has to do with the squeelin. But it is true that you can train them to live next to each other. I always say training a hog is like training a dog.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited September 2010
    :D
    blonde wrote:
    And I would agree. Pigs are so smart and can learn by repetative daily exercise.

You need to follow by example hey Blonde!!!!
    edited September 2010
    blonde wrote:
    You right..... Stevie.....!!!!!pigs are intelligent animals lets face it Stevie....or I guess you have not had the opportunity to investigate the area of the pig that gives some pleasure to some people......they are also good pets, they can be house trained, they can walk on a restraint, they can be gentle and they can respect their owner.......so there is no example to follow Stevie....just animals being animals.... eager to please their owners!!!!!! Love them or hate them that is the way pigs are.......

Now you are going Gaga Blonde. Walking a pig on a restraint, what ever next???? I think you've been catching too much sun and obviously spent too many lonely moments away from civilisation and its beginning to affect your brain Blonde. Next you'll be having it go fetch a stick or ball!!!!
    I love working with pigs, but that is a far as it goes!
    edited September 2010
    blonde wrote:
    Well they dont mind playing with a ball.....except they spoil the fun by putting a hole in it and then the game is off.....no goals won by either side then......

I have never had much time for ball goes Blonde, as I always been too busy, but atleast I know one thing, air filled is not a good option!!!!!
  • clovenheartsclovenhearts Junior Member
    edited October 2010
    We operated a horse boarding stable for four years, two years into it we got Courtney (a pot bellied)... I've only had one close call, it was a new boarders horse in the quarentine pen and Courtney was used to that paddock being empty and was in there on weed patrol as usual. He sniffed her and spun at her, but thankfully it was pretty half arsed and more of a warning. She didn't go in there again while that horse was there.

Otherwise Courtney LOVES the horses, I have pics of her being nuzzled by one as she napped. She'd sleep in their round bales and graze with them, I honestly think she thinks she's one of them.

New horses to the stable almost always snorted and baulked the first time seeing her, but only that one horse previously mentioned honestly didn't like her. Even the most high strung arabs and ottb's didn't even bat an eyelash at her after initially meeting her. She was always comfortable with them, even with the size difference. She'd sniff noses with them and quietly walk backwards if she was in their way. She had her few favorites that she could always be found grazing with or napping in their hay.

I've had more problems with horses hating dogs than the pig. Having a herd addicted border collie doesn't help haha.