We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

ELECTRIC FENCE!!!!! what a palaver!!!

I love my Farm xI love my Farm x Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Pig Tales and Stories
:confused: :eek:

OH MY GOD!!!!

After readying lots of piggy website to get advice on pig fencing we though we would try out electric fencing!!! We have kept our 4 weaners in a stable for the last month with what we thought was a large patch of land (about 20m) but to our amazement the blights demolished it in about a week!!!.

We have a couple of 5 acres feilds and we thought we would section about a 1/4 acre off for them and move them to some fresh ground with a home made pig arc (hay bales and the roof off our truck!!).

Well getting them into the trailer was the first task as access to our stable is very awkard as previous owners used it as a shed and built a pond infront of it!!!!!!!!!!!. So needless to say we spend 4 hours tidying the mess up afterwards as there was bodies, pigs, straw and stone flying everywere (well it felt like it at the time).

When we finally got them in the truck, feeling pretty chuffed with ourselves, off we trotted to the newly fenced patch in the field next to the house. We bought an electric fencing kit with electric ribbon and a dry battery charger which cost us £200.

The piglets were in the patch not even 2 mins when they were running round exploring and PLAYING!!!! with the electric ribbon! and to our amazement after chewing the fence they climbed under and off they trot!:confused:

We came to the conclusion that the pulse was not strong enough! so being a sunday, we had to watch the pigs dig up our field and pester the chickens until the next morning before we could go out and buy a stronger battery! (costing £230)!

so Monday morning i spent the first 30 mins panicing and searching for the pigs only to find them huddled in a pile next to the chicken coop snoring. We managed to bribe them back into the paddock, right across the field, with a bucket of boiled potatoes and quickly put the strong battery to it. And guess what!!!! the little sods ran through it again!!! so we put the 3 strands of ribbon really close together and tried for the 3rd time and to our total stress and horror they jumped over it!!!!

After stressing over the thought of trying to catch them again in a 5 acres field and get them in a trailer I came up with the idea of trying sheep netting instead as we kept them in the back with sheep fencing with no problems.

Off my partner trot to the shop to spend another £80 on electric netting and away we went AGAIN! this time to hve the pigs charge at it and pull the whole fence down!!!

At this point I ws starting to think "suckling pig" but when a sat with my first cuppa in 2 days and though about it I realised that when the pigs were getting a shock they were shooting forward (hence - running through the fence) so I though maybe we will try again without the pulse.

Well, low-and-behold, we put it all back together, managed to get the pigs to follow me back in (amazed!) and left the netting with no pulse.

Turns out after the last blast and tangle in the netting has made them warry of the fence and they are keeping their distance!

Hopefully when I get up in the morning my piggies are going to be comfortable in the blue peter arc and still behind their fence!!!

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!:eek:

Comments

• rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    You first of all need to 'fence train' your pigs, put them into a secure area, a small sheep fenced area or walled area, with a two strand electric fence along the inside, as they cannot get through the fence or wall, they soon learn to avoid the electric wire. Check your fence daily, it needs to run at 6000 volts to give a sufficient shock to the pigs, after a week to ten days you can transferr them to their 'unsecured' paddock, where, so long as the current is maintained at a high level 5000+ they will continue to respect it.
    Check you don't have any places where the current is going to ground, and reducing the effectiveness of the fencing unit, PM me if you need any clarification.
  • I love my Farm xI love my Farm x Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for your advice, just wish Id had it before I started:D:rolleyes:

Turns out the tangle in the fence scared them and after putting them back behind the fence they are going no where near it. I will know for next time and will definately try it your way x
  • I love my Farm xI love my Farm x Junior Member
    edited April 2009
    We moved our pigs last night and went out and bought a whole new electric fence as we thought it would be safer to put up the new patch along side their current patch and just let them cross through without losing them again!!!:D Turns put we could have taken the whole bloody thing down and they wouldnt have gone anywhere!! we could not get them to cross the boundaries of the old patch! We got their in the end after about 2 hrs of bribary with buckets full of potatoes and feed!!!!

So I guess pigs do actually take notice of the electric fence even if it does take a few lessons
  • RockrothwellRockrothwell Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi Blonde,

You sound like my step brother, David Henderson of Esperance WA. A cattleman all his life, a gaggel of kids & Dodie his wife manage a large cattle station with an abatoir somewere, about 120 km west of Esperance. Maybe you know him?

Anyway, years ago he spoke of another station/abatoir set up he was managing & mentioned the horrible way some of the drivers (big B-trains) treated the animals they were delivering. Said he walked over to a guy who was being abusive & yelling & screaming, told him that he had 2 choices: Start acting like a man and show some respect and decency, or load em up and get out & don't come back.

Apparently the guy had the sence to settle down, appologise and start being decent to the stock (which after all were headed for the chop). David said he's never had a problem with anyone being abusive to the stock since he decided to say something.

It probably shows that he's earned my respect, really decent guy. I figure he probably earned a fair amount of respect from his actions and word got around. This I can only surmize as he's in western OZ & I'm in western Canada.
  • edited August 2010
    I think you are right Blonde. I have a four year old Tamworth boar who I adore and he is ok with me too. I go talk to him for a few minutes everyday and give him a bit of home baked bread or an apple from the orchard, a good scratch behind the ear with a bit of pig oil. He comes to my call from a mile away. I can move him any time any where any place.

Yet my growers, who I spend virtually no time with are much more difficult and headstrong bless them...they are like unruly children.
  • ALISONALISON Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    I totaly agree with Blonde!!

We have cattle as well and the last thing I want is noise when working with them.

Loud voices and actions do us no favours when we are working with animals and these people who possess them are best to keep away!!