We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Three types of PVC 2

blondeblonde Senior Member
edited March 2015 in PMWS and PDNS
What are the three types of PCV2 - PCV2 a,b,c is prevalent within the UK in cases of PMWS and which is in otherwise healthy pigs?

http://www.portec.com.au/the pig/disorders/lymphatic/pcv2virus/pcv2virus:htm

Comments

• derekarmstrongderekarmstrong Junior Member
    edited February 2009
    Work in Ireland (and elsewhere) has shown that prior to 2002/2003 there was a predominance of the PCV2a (eg 424, Stoon 1010) genotypes in PMWS affected and non-affected farms. There was a sudden (from virology, epidemiology and spread perspective) jump in 2002/2003 to the PCV2b (eg 321, 48285) genotypes of virus in both affected and non-affected herds, with a few dual infections going on (321/424) in the same animal.

In GB there seems to be similar pattern, although the analysis is still ongoing. Post 2002/3 it would appear that normal and diseased farms are infected almost exclusively with the PCV2b strains (321) wheras pre 2002/03 normal and diseased farms were infected with the PCV2a (424) strains.

There appears to be a similar pattern all around the world but it is not clear why this has happened.

Derek
  • YakultYakult Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, how can I tell the difference between PMWS and Ileitis? I know my pig has something, but I can't tell :/
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Yakult wrote:
    Yeah, how can I tell the difference between PMWS and Ileitis? I know my pig has something, but I can't tell :/
    Why not approach a vet?
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Pigs with PMWS in the worst case scenario waste away, and/or have diarheorra, where as pigs with Illeistis tend to suddeny drop dead(worse case) and grow alot slower.
    PMWS is a virus and can't be treated with drugs, and exposes the pig to secondary infections, and these are what you treat.
    Illeitis is a bacteria and can be treated with drugs and the pigs vaccinated against it.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2011
    blonde wrote:
    Is there a vaccine that lasts for PMWS or does it have to be given yearly?

Circovac is the vaccine and a double shot to gilts, then each time at weaning I would presume.
    Never used it, so you would need to read the instructions.:D
  • rbgumtirbgumti Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    I think Ingelvac circoflex is the best vaccine for PCV2 :given only once prior to weaning.
  • BegatherBegather Junior Member
    rbgumti you are right the Ingelvac is the best one if you compare with other one.