We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pigs Killing other pigs

highview farmhighview farm Junior Member
edited March 2008 in General Pig Health
We are a small, family size pig raiser and recently took 6 (we have a total of 12) of our 250lb to 300lb hogs to a butcher that we always use. They called to say that one of the hogs was killed by the others last night. All were from the same litter and raised together for the last 6 months. Any idea why this would happen?

Comments

• Madisons' MomMadisons' Mom Senior Member
    edited November 2007
    my guess would be stress. they are in strange confines and pigs can sense certain things so if they smelt death where they are at, it could provoke such behavior. Depending on the time of death, the meat can still be used.
  • Bobbi GovroBobbi Govro Member
    edited November 2007
    I agree with Madisons Mom...stress can really get a pig upset and even the most docile can be outright dangerous. We have had pigs that have been raised get extremely aggressive with each other when something has them riled up. Our butcher seperates our hogs when we deliver them (even when they've been raised together), just for that very reason.
  • boy2boy2 Junior Member
    edited November 2007
    We are a small, family size pig raiser and recently took 6 (we have a total of 12) of our 250lb to 300lb hogs to a butcher that we always use. They called to say that one of the hogs was killed by the others last night. All were from the same litter and raised together for the last 6 months. Any idea why this would happen?

May I know the breed of the hogs?
  • treastrinitytreastrinity Member
    edited November 2007
    When u stress any pig, or hog , of any kind..........it is reason for stress, it doesnt matter what kind or breed. Stress it in any way too bad and there is reason for worry. They have more feelings and ideas than u know..........Srry.............
  • qbarfarmqbarfarm Member
    edited November 2007
    It is highly unlikley that the pigs killed another pig that they were always housed with. I have never experienced that in 20 years of handling thousands of pigs.
    There are a couple of exceptions, pigs riding other pigs because they want to breed. I have seen them hurt beyond repair, that way, but not killed as long as they have always been housed together.
    Pigs that have not been housed together will sometimes fight until one is injured beyond repair or even killed. One on one isn't so bad as 2 or more on one. Especially on a hot day.
    Example would be a group of 5 always housed together and adding one or two to the group. They would all have to fight eachother to form the new pecking order. That could kill them.
    If they have been housed together and you move them to the packer. I wouldn't believe the story for a minute.
    Stay around and watch how they handle the pigs at the packing facility. You can tell if somebody has a mean streak or not.
    It is the USDA inspector's job to make sure the pigs are handled properly.
  • kakonsterarokakonsteraro Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    i wonder if you can trust the butcher...maybe he got hungry in middle of the night!
  • Doodledude1Doodledude1 Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    my husband and i recently started buthchering our pigs our selves it is a pain but well worth it u know u r getting all your meat how it is being handled and they actually say a pig taken to the butcher will stress out and tense up causing the meat to be less tender i dont know if that is true but i know my pigs are killed in the most humane way i have found and do not suffer from stress or terror before being put down they are raised as pets and put down as pets humanely not like your local butcher who could care less about the comfort of your pig we learned all about butchering from varios web sites
    edited January 2008
    what method do you use to put down your pigs?
  • beemanbeeman Junior Member
    edited February 2008
    We use a .22 magnum between the eyes. They drop like a sack of potatoes and do not appear to suffer. Once they hit the ground you have get busy and get the rest of the job done.
  • FunnyFarmFunnyFarm Member
    edited February 2008
    The original poster may want to consider a mobile slaughterer in the future if there is one available in their area.
    A mobile slaughterer will come to your property and slaughter the pig's right there where they live. Less stress on them. Then he will transport the carcass to where you want your meat cut. At least that is how my husband does it, he is a mobile slaughterer. Stress can affect your meat quality. Hauling causes stress, as well as being in a new place.
    edited March 2008
    We use a mobile butcher/hauler and love him to death. He is very humane to the animal, incredibly clean, and when my feelings get in the way sometimes he is awesome. He also comes before the sun rises to avoid the heat. Unlike some of the other mobiles in our area, mine takes mine right back to his shop and usually calls me within the hour to tell me hanging weights. Others only make one trip back to the shop after collecting for the day to save on gas charges. The truck is not refrigerated either. YUCK! He is also very understanding about giving me a little more time to decide on packaging and pick up.. I have not posted lately and right now is a very difficult time for me as I have had to make the difficult decision to send my Madison out on the truck tomorrow morning. I know she will be treated with the utmost respect and I will miss her dearly.
  • They eat each other out of stress . Nowing that you are about to die is a hard thing to comprehend . There is no humane way to kill a creature that dose not want to die.