We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sick pregnant pigs

brandonincambodiabrandonincambodia Junior Member
edited August 2015 in General Pig Health
Sorry if this has posted but I don't see it so here it goes again. My pregnant pigs in Cambodia got sick today. They would not eat and started vomiting. I was told by my worker that it happend in his home villae and the two pregnant pigs died. I called the vet when I heard that and the vet said he could not come because another person with a pergnant pig called him about the same symptoms. The pigs seemed normal yesterday expect for bumps on their skin they got a week ago after we added new rice hust which I still sthink is an unrelated ant issue. They are freerange and yesterday they were out like normal and their stool seemed normal. Today they would not eat and spend the whole day lying around. All five pregnant pigs went from normal last night to what I thought was just lazy this morning to clearly sick this afternoon. From what my workers tell me this is the first time they have seen this sickness and they say it only kills pregnant pigs (but this is from a very small sample size). I am in rural Cambodia so there are no good vets around me and my only staff that has seen this just watched the pregnant pigs die as the local vet couldn't save them.

Any help would be very welcome as I have no idea what to do.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Bumps on skin could be Erysipelas which if so is easy to cure with penicillin. The drug used should only a type that can be given to pregnant animals.
  • brandonincambodiabrandonincambodia Junior Member
    edited August 2015
    The pigs have all aborted their babies with most being born stillborn and some premature but coming out alive. Vet here just told me to change to cows as pigs get sick to easily. He injected antibotics "Enro" three times but has now given up. One of the mother pigs died this morning but the other 5 are eating a little and drinking though they don't eat or move like before. The skin now looks good and I haven't seen any vomit (though they aren't eating much). The only sign of sickness is the aborted pigglets, the lack of movement, and lack of appatite. Their ears look normal, breathing seems fine, and overall color looks normal.

Without a decent vet I have no idea what it is or what to do about it. Best guess is PRRS without the symptoms but if that is right then is there anything I can do? Is there another diesease that seems a better fit?
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited August 2015
    As mentioned ERYSIPELAS is a bacterial disease which will cause what has happened. All you needed to do or still need to do is vaccinate your sows against it and what you could/should have done was inject all your sows with a drug that could be used during pregnancy as the lumps on the skin appeared then you would have saved your sows from aborting. Erysipelas is easily treated if could quickly, but better still is to vaccinate then they are less likely to get the problem in the first place.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Sorry if this has posted but I don't see it so here it goes again. My pregnant pigs in Cambodia got sick today. They would not eat and started vomiting. I was told by my worker that it happend in his home villae and the two pregnant pigs died. I called the vet when I heard that and the vet said he could not come because another person with a pergnant pig called him about the same symptoms. The pigs seemed normal yesterday expect for bumps on their skin they got a week ago after we added new rice hust which I still sthink is an unrelated ant issue. They are freerange and yesterday they were out like normal and their stool seemed normal. Today they would not eat and spend the whole day lying around. All five pregnant pigs went from normal last night to what I thought was just lazy this morning to clearly sick this afternoon. From what my workers tell me this is the first time they have seen this sickness and they say it only kills pregnant pigs (but this is from a very small sample size). I am in rural Cambodia so there are no good vets around me and my only staff that has seen this just watched the pregnant pigs die as the local vet couldn't save them.

Any help would be very welcome as I have no idea what to do.
    the rice husk might have had Fusarium on it and this will cause vomiting and diarrhea in pigs and abortion on baby pigs.......and also loss of sows. they will not eat contaminated feed no matter what.

There is no cure for grain contaminated with Fusarium and their is also no cure for pigs or other livestock that has eaten this contaminated grain. the animal either comes good or it dies. there is no treatment for the crop or the animals. The world does not seem to want to do any work to counteract this problem......and help those that lot feed livestock to feed the world. I lost 400 sows, all my unborne litters and 500 growers just recently to this very fungus....and am no long in business due it.

You need to push your government body in to trying to get something done about contaminated grain and livestock contamination....treatments etc. it is the most heartbreaking situation to be in and no one around can help or wants to know....