We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Skin Condition

HugoHugo Junior Member
edited July 2015 in General Pig Health
Hi Guys,

I have some Berkshire piglets that were weaned about 4 weeks ago a couple of weeks ago I noticed a skin condition developing. Their skin got hard and crusty and they developed deep cracks. There is no weeping from their skin its just dry and hard and they are not noticeably itchy or irritated. Aside from their skin they have exhibited all normal signs for little piggies. They are eating and drinking well and seem to have plenty of energy.

We changed up their diet a little and the cracked skin seems to be lifting and getting caught in their hair which is fine because it eventually falls out but I am just wondering if anyone knows what this might be I've done so much reading on mange and greasy pig and it doesn't really seem to fit either of those maybe Parakeratosis but everything I read seems to say it's so rare. Anyone's help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Whats the weather like where you are If it is sunny and hot could be sunburn????
    Need shade and wallows to prevent this if so, but what you can do if they don't wallow in theses is to throw mud on there backs.
  • HugoHugo Junior Member
    edited July 2015
    No we are in the middle of a fairly mild winter but not much sun around. Mostly rain and mud some frosts. I don't think they would be getting too much sun that it would be sunburn. Whatever it is, seems to be lifting a little more everyday but would like to know in case it happens again how to go about treating it as soon as I see the signs.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2015
    well, may have been a mineral deficiency as it seemed to gradually disappear when you changed their diet???