We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pregnant sow acting strange?

paisley_the_pigpaisley_the_pig Junior Member
edited July 2015 in General Pig Health
My pregnant sow has been acting very unlike herself today. I woke her up and took her out to the backyard like every other morning so she could graze. She rooted up a small patch in my yard and laid down for about an hour until I came and got her, which is not like her. Every morning I let her graze for about two hours and then give her her grain (to prevent her screaming early in the morning for her breakfast). I gave her grain and water and she ate it all and drank. After that she followed me to the couch and has been trying to sleep every since. She is restless but she will get comfortable for a little bit then reposition. She is normal a very active pig and is up all day. I have been feeding her little treats and she is still interested in them but she just goes right back to sleep. Should I be concerned about this behavior?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Could be a problem???? What's her breathing like and what's the weather doing'???
  • paisley_the_pigpaisley_the_pig Junior Member
    edited July 2015
    Her breathing is normal, the weather is hot but she has been inside with me. I ended up calling the vet last night and explained all of her symptoms. It looked like she had a stroke. She would fall down or be very wobbly to her left side. When she would put her ears up she could only get the right one up. Her personality is back to normal but she is still stumbling and having problems with her left side. My vet thinks she could be in the first stage of pregnancy and the babies are sitting on a nerve. I see a small milk line but her udders aren't as big as I think they should be. I'm not sure when she got pregnant so I don't know when she is due. I did feel the babies for the first time a little over two and a half months ago.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2015
    114 days is the length of pregnancy, but with out a day watching for her to start bagging up is the best method???