We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Large Black sow (pregnant) very lame

robinlm1@hotmail.comrobinlm1@hotmail.com Junior Member
edited July 2015 in General Pig Health
Twice over last 3 weeks we have had the vet out to assess the lameness. Our sow was injected with an anti inflammatory both times which appeared to help. She is due to farrow in late August or early September. We estimate she is around 4 years old and in great condition generally. Each vet visit has shown nothing in her foot, no swelling .... nothing apparent at all. Suggested arthritis creeping in. We have moved her from her normal area (quite wet) to drier cleaner ground with three younger piglets. I also noted yesterday that she is chewing a great deal (with an empty mouth) and her jaw/teeth squeak. My terror of course is the combination of foot..... and .... mouth but they other pigs have nothing wrong at all and the vet has no concerns. Any ideas or thoughts welcomed Robin

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Twice over last 3 weeks we have had the vet out to assess the lameness. Our sow was injected with an anti inflammatory both times which appeared to help. She is due to farrow in late August or early September. We estimate she is around 4 years old and in great condition generally. Each vet visit has shown nothing in her foot, no swelling .... nothing apparent at all. Suggested arthritis creeping in. We have moved her from her normal area (quite wet) to drier cleaner ground with three younger piglets. I also noted yesterday that she is chewing a great deal (with an empty mouth) and her jaw/teeth squeak. My terror of course is the combination of foot..... and .... mouth but they other pigs have nothing wrong at all and the vet has no concerns. Any ideas or thoughts welcomed Robin

Squeak mouth is just some thing some pigs do and would be too concerned, as to the foot, infection can get in through a small crack, hence causing lameness and should be treated with an anti and antibiotics that are usable in pregnant sow. It is good that you have moved her some where dry as wet conditions will cause a greater chance of lameness.