We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pigs and hot peppers

1911/5001911/500 Junior Member
edited October 2013 in General Pig Health
So my boss has an intresting idea to raise three pigs and finish them in different ways hog 1 chestnuts and acorns hog 2 ramps,mushrooms and other foraged plants of that nature hog 3 hot peppers-habaneros,jalpenos and mix of other things. Anyway my question is can pigs eat hot peppers and will they eat them. And also when finishing pigs when do u start i've heard the last 2 to 3 months. And do u souly feed them what your finishing them on or do just make that the main course? Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou oh and I apologize. If this is wrong thread.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2013
    1911/500 wrote:
    So my boss has an intresting idea to raise three pigs and finish them in different ways hog 1 chestnuts and acorns hog 2 ramps,mushrooms and other foraged plants of that nature hog 3 hot peppers-habaneros,jalpenos and mix of other things. Anyway my question is can pigs eat hot peppers and will they eat them. And also when finishing pigs when do u start i've heard the last 2 to 3 months. And do u souly feed them what your finishing them on or do just make that the main course? Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou oh and I apologize. If this is wrong thread.[/quote

Hi there, 14 weeks is approx. when a pig goes on a finisher/fattener diet , approx., as to what the will eat, there is one way to find out and that is to feed it to them.
    Probably depends on how hot the peppers are, but and there is always a but, pepper alone nutritionally would not be enough, as to make a pig grow well and stay healthy they don't have enough protein in or Vitamins and minerals.
    Are these pig going to be kept in side or allowed to forage out?
  • 1911/5001911/500 Junior Member
    edited October 2013
    These three pigs will be kept in a 30x40 space till finished then they will seperated to eat seperate. They can forage some in this area not much and with finishing we will not have enough of anything for them to be fed souly on these specific feeds so i was planning on supplementing these things especially. Peppers im very aware theres not enough nutrients in them.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2013
    1911/500 wrote:
    These three pigs will be kept in a 30x40 space till finished then they will seperated to eat seperate. They can forage some in this area not much and with finishing we will not have enough of anything for them to be fed souly on these specific feeds so i was planning on supplementing these things especially. Peppers im very aware theres not enough nutrients in them.

If you supplement their feed then you shouldn't have a problem, just depends on the supplement you are using.
    Once feed my sows on silage and a quarter of their feed was properly formulated pig feed and it worked well. Obviously silage wouldn't be good for a fat pig, but you can understand were I am coming from, I hope any way.
  • foxnews1995foxnews1995 Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    1911/500 wrote:
    Would you eat a diet consisting of hot peppers? Lol
    Maybe at a inclusion rate of 1% or less.
    The other ideas are good, in spain they do the acorn diet to.