We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Constipated Pig?

Little CheeseLittle Cheese Junior Member
edited January 2012 in General Pig Health
This is my second message to this forum. My first was about Penny Pig a 2 1/2 year old Kune Kune/Tamworth cross and how she was going to the toilet in her living quarters which she had never done before.

This is not so frequent now and she has attempted to do this three times when I have been there and I have made it clear to her that she must go outside by pushing her outside and bellowing at her.

I have noticed that when she goes to the toilet, she is producing small, hard round balls between 1" - 2" in diameter and not much of it. This is not her normal type. Her piddling is fine and her appetite has not diminished. Penny and her brother Snouter share the same trough, which is outside in the open, along with three geese and Snouter's toilet habits and general health seems fine.

They are fed a mixture of chopped up fruit & veg, pig pellets with some cheese and whey. I am a cheese maker. They have plenty of access to clean, fresh water both in their living quarters and just outside it and there is a stream in the paddock. I don't think anything has changed with their diet or environment.

It's hard to tell whether she is spending more time asleep as the weather is cold, wet and windy here, but she is getting up and wandering around in a bad tempered way.

Also hard to tell, as she can be a grumpy pig (unlike her brother) but I think she may be in discomfort as she is growling a lot more than usual and being very bad tempered towards me and her brother.

Is this common? Is there something I can do for her or is it a job for the vet?

Many thanks, Iona in cold wet, windy N Yorkshire

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2011
    This is my second message to this forum. My first was about Penny Pig a 2 1/2 year old Kune Kune/Tamworth cross and how she was going to the toilet in her living quarters which she had never done before.

This is not so frequent now and she has attempted to do this three times when I have been there and I have made it clear to her that she must go outside by pushing her outside and bellowing at her.

I have noticed that when she goes to the toilet, she is producing small, hard round balls between 1" - 2" in diameter and not much of it. This is not her normal type. Her piddling is fine and her appetite has not diminished. Penny and her brother Snouter share the same trough, which is outside in the open, along with three geese and Snouter's toilet habits and general health seems fine.

They are fed a mixture of chopped up fruit & veg, pig pellets with some cheese and whey. I am a cheese maker. They have plenty of access to clean, fresh water both in their living quarters and just outside it and there is a stream in the paddock. I don't think anything has changed with their diet or environment.

It's hard to tell whether she is spending more time asleep as the weather is cold, wet and windy here, but she is getting up and wandering around in a bad tempered way.

Also hard to tell, as she can be a grumpy pig (unlike her brother) but I think she may be in discomfort as she is growling a lot more than usual and being very bad tempered towards me and her brother.

Is this common? Is there something I can do for her or is it a job for the vet?

Many thanks, Iona in cold wet, windy N Yorkshire

Hi LC, constpation is not normal so something is amiss so could try adding bran or middings to her diet or just add Liquid pariffin to her feed(which you can get from a chemist.
    If that don't work with in afew days then consult your Vet.
    Need my bed as its 11:57 pm which is why Iam so breif.
    Good Luck and let us know how you go.
  • Little CheeseLittle Cheese Junior Member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Stevie G. Am trying her on bran and will let you know how she gets on.
    edited January 2012
    Hello Stevie G - the half packet of bran I gave Penny Pig seems to have worked a little - she doesn't seem as bunged up as she was and the evidence is looking a little better, larger and not so pellet like.

Tomorrow I shall give her the rest of the packet.

Many thanks for the suggestion, Iona
    edited January 2012
    Update 17th Jan 2012

Many thanks for your help. Latest is, adding bran seems to have helped a little, but today decided to phone the vet. The vet says that as they are still passing faeces, they are not constipated. I explained that the output was hard and pellet like and small, the vet replied that they need more water.

Maybe because it is cold they are not drinking enough? I am not sure this makes sense: they have plenty of access to water including one water trough in their piggie house and one outside that they share with the geese and a stream in the paddock.

They are fed twice a day with chopped up fruit & veg topped up with pig pellets, whey and hot water; the quantity of this has not changed, so am not sure why drinking more water will resolve this. I will try, though, adding more water and whey to their feed.

Has anyone else come across this as a cure for constipated pigs?
    edited January 2012
    Update 17th Jan 2012

Many thanks for your help. Latest is, adding bran seems to have helped a little, but today decided to phone the vet. The vet says that as they are still passing faeces, they are not constipated. I explained that the output was hard and pellet like and small, the vet replied that they need more water.

They have plenty of access to water including one water trough in their piggie house and one outside that they share with the geese and a stream in the paddock. Maybe because it is cold they are not drinking enough?

They are fed twice a day with chopped up fruit & veg topped up with pig pellets, whey and hot water; the quantity of this has not changed, and they always clean the trough up, so am not sure why drinking more water will resolve this. I will try, though, adding more water and whey to their feed.

Has anyone else come across this as a cure for constipated pigs?

Many thanks, Iona
    edited January 2012
    Leesh wrote:
    I dont as much about pigs, but the horses run into this problem in the winter due to not drinking as much. To fix we add water their feed, and if that isnt enough we put a water heater probe in their tank. Some animals, cows too now that I think of it just dont like drinking cold cold water in the winter.

The Vet probably correct about the diagnosis and yes lack of water will make a pig constipated, as they don't like drinking really cold water or walking on frozen ground(if its frozen that is!)
    Hope it works.:D
    edited January 2012
    Hopefully a final update. I've doubled the amount of fluid in their twice daily feed and have done this for the last 2 days and I have been sprinkling bran on top of their food too, splitting a 750g box over 4 feeds.

Today, Penny Pig did me proud, producing a beautiful, loose-ish specimen, more in the order of how she used to be and she isn't quite so grumpy.

Thanks Leesh for your experience with horses, it makes perfect sense that animals may not want to drink as much cold water in cold weather, something I had not thought of, so thanks for that.

I have also not given them any cheese as part of their feed as I was told that cheese could cause constipation too.

And Stevie G, many thanks for the suggestion of bran. A local farmer friend suggested I should give them castor oil, so I went to the chemist where I work and asked for some and was regarded with much suspicion and was sent away saying that it is not legal to sell castor oil in the UK. So I reverted to the bran!

Well, it's been a huge learning, but thanks to all who have helped, my two pigs I think are feeling so much better.

Thank you

Iona, Penny Pig & Snouter:)
    edited January 2012
    blonde wrote:
    fancy sitting up till 11.57pm must have done lots on the pigsite hey Stevie....... answered all the questions right....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No actually Blonde, don't get home till 10 pm most nights, then watch a bit of TV and eat and in the little spare time I get I delete the shite that keeps coming on this webb site and after that I then answer a few questions time permitting.
    PS could do with your help a bit more as the I could do less.:D :D
    Glad your back.:D
  • I dont know if this will be effective as well to the pigs, but my dog had the same experience before and no pills or medications from his vet doc ever worked. So, I fed him some cannabis dog food and it worked. I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help them in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder, inflammation, and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain from www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/blurple/. Alternatively, they've also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages.