We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cracked skin

ZurielZuriel Member
edited October 2011 in General Pig Health
hi, i have 4 pigs who's skin is exceptionally dry, the skin seems to cracking and bleeding. what are the alternatives besides waddling?

Comments

• I8IggyI8Iggy Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    Is this a 4H or FFA project and if so is your child YouthPQA certified...if the answer is yes, then please don't put the sunscreen on them because for some odd reason sunscreen isn't an approve product for swine, in the eyes of the Pork People.

You could put aloe (green) on them the blue aloe that you get from the store has tea tree oil in it and it will burn them.

Vitimin E (liquid) on them but that's going to be expensive if the burn is to big. You can put the Vitimin E gel caps in their feed.

But I would suggest a mud bath solution like Blonde and if bleeding a pen shot. But then again if these are projects through the 4H/FFA they want you shy away from the antibodic unless your vet says use it.

Some say adding 3 eggs per feeding per pig in their feed will help never tried that.

Good luck.
  • ZurielZuriel Member
    edited October 2011
    i made a waddling pool for them to roll on mud. should i still put lotion/aloe on them?
  • I8IggyI8Iggy Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    If they are still bleeding I would put some aloe on them.

Once their skin heals, you can use something along the line of Main and Tail detangler (it comes in a spray bottle) spray them down and then use your hand to get the conditioner onto their skin. Why main and tail, because you don't have to wash it out. Work up from using you hand to get the conditioner onto their skin to using a soft brush.

If you brush them daily, you can help get the dead skin off of them and they should heal nicely.

Good luck.
  • Gina HarlowGina Harlow Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    I've given my pigs flax seeds. Add a cup to their feed and it improves their skin dramatically. I did that with some potbellies that I had. Their skin was cracked and bleeding and it was all better and looking beautiful in a week I think. You can buy large quantities of flax seed at natural food stores or co-ops. I don't think that pork people should have any problem using it either.
  • ZurielZuriel Member
    edited October 2011
    does Vaseline work just as good as aloe?
  • No Vaseline. It’ll burn worse when in the sun and pigs can’t sweat so don’t put anything that blocks pores.