We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Electric Fence Questions

Matt-Matt- Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Pig Tales and Stories
Hi folks,

I'm new to electric fencing, and need some advice.

I have a two acre field that I'm going to pasture two-three pigs in this summer. I'm planning to set up a 2 wire fence with three or four sections for rotational grazing. I've purchased a .5 joule low impedence Gallagher charger and a good grounding system.

Will the .5 joule charger be enough? I plan to move the fence every few weeks and will mow the grass along the lines before setting it up so there shouldn't be too many places where weeds get into it.

Most places I've read online say to buy at least a 3 joule charger for hogs, but I'm setting up less than 1 mile of wire. I know the joule rating is used to determine how long I can go with the wire, and have read 1 joule for ever 6 miles to keep the voltage up.

Is the joule rating the ammount of shock the animal will recieve, or is it a measurement of how far the voltage can travel to reach the end of the fence? I'm confused.

My goal is to give a very strong shock, but not over-spend on a charger. I may not like raising pigs and don't want to invest too much.

Thanks for the education,
-Matt

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Matt- wrote:
    Hi folks,

I'm new to electric fencing, and need some advice.

I have a two acre field that I'm going to pasture two-three pigs in this summer. I'm planning to set up a 2 wire fence with three or four sections for rotational grazing. I've purchased a .5 joule low impedence Gallagher charger and a good grounding system.

Will the .5 joule charger be enough? I plan to move the fence every few weeks and will mow the grass along the lines before setting it up so there shouldn't be too many places where weeds get into it.

Most places I've read online say to buy at least a 3 joule charger for hogs, but I'm setting up less than 1 mile of wire. I know the joule rating is used to determine how long I can go with the wire, and have read 1 joule for ever 6 miles to keep the voltage up.

Is the joule rating the ammount of shock the animal will recieve, or is it a measurement of how far the voltage can travel to reach the end of the fence? I'm confused.

My goal is to give a very strong shock, but not over-spend on a charger. I may not like raising pigs and don't want to invest too much.

Thanks for the education,
    -Matt

Hi Matt, 0.5 of a joule don't mean too much too me, but electric fencing is best run off a heavy duty car battery(take note of the heavy duty) and will give you more than what you need. It is a little bit of time since I was outdoors on batteries, but gallagher is a good make and is what I used to use, so if you use the correct battery it will be definitely more than what you need(unless it is set up wrong or you have too many earths ie wire to metal post or wire touching on the ground alot).
    Presuming you bought it of the net, but if you didn't then just speak with your supplier inperson or over the phone? Gallagher will also gladly help.
    I hope this will help also.:D
    edited April 2011
    blonde wrote:
    Speedrite is also a good brand and can be used on mains power and solar panel/battery combination. A voltage of around 7 will keep pigs in quite well, give you a boot if you touch it, You can also obtain a directional finder when the fence shorts out, and at times it will. The finder will also give you the voltage on the fence so you dont have to touch it yourself to know if it is working.

Used voltage meters alll the time and 5000 volts will do the trick off a heavuy duty leisure battery(a very good belt), just never worked on joules.
    Thought that was something used used to burn off fat Blonde(if you need to!)
    edited April 2011
    blonde wrote:
    I am not "fat"...... Stevie, dont drink beer:D

No but very sad not to be drinking beer.:eek: :rolleyes: :D
    edited April 2011
    blonde wrote:
    I dont think so Stevie........ not at all.:) ::p :o

It will take away the pain of your foot and the worries. Atleast for a short time anyway, unless of course you drink far too much.!!:cool: