We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

parvovirus

kdmastkdmast Junior Member
edited August 2011 in PMWS and PDNS
I recently bought 8 -4month old pigs and a bred sow, the guy gave me parvo med and said I should give it to her in about a week. I didn't, I researched and saw info from U Minn. that said virtually all herds carry the disease. Also said the gilt only needs vaccine once. We had 13 piglets, lost 3 to squashing, one crawled away and froze and have lost another with 2 sick. One seems to be recovering and one is not eating. The one not eating threw up yellow with small cottage cheese like chunks. They are 2 wks old. Another question. Do I need to worry about passing parvo to my dogs?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    kdmast wrote:
    I recently bought 8 -4month old pigs and a bred sow, the guy gave me parvo med and said I should give it to her in about a week. I didn't, I researched and saw info from U Minn. that said virtually all herds carry the disease. Also said the gilt only needs vaccine once. We had 13 piglets, lost 3 to squashing, one crawled away and froze and have lost another with 2 sick. One seems to be recovering and one is not eating. The one not eating threw up yellow with small cottage cheese like chunks. They are 2 wks old. Another question. Do I need to worry about passing parvo to my dogs?

Best is to ring a Vet and ask him, but I wouldn't have thought it would cross between the two species, parvo that is(not pig parvo).
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    kdmast wrote:
    None of the pig diseases pass between the pig and the dog..... I have asked the question to a vet int khe kpast, as I have dogs int he piggery to keep the foxes away. I was worried about this as well.