We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

sick 8 week old pig...help!?

cheeky17cheeky17 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Vets and Producers
I have an 8 week old pig that is sick and needs something but i dont know what. I live in N. Utah and i have 7 piglets in the same pen with straw and heat lamps. i havent had any problems until this one got sick today. The weather has been really sporadic as of late. like today it went from 58 degrees to 38 degrees in about an hour. it wont eat and is shaking really bad. i took it out of the pen away from the others and put it in a separate area by itself. i tried giving it water with a regular baby bottle but still nothing. Let me know if you need any more info. to make a decision. Thanks so much for any help anyone could give me. Thanks, Cheeky

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    cheeky17 wrote:
    I have an 8 week old pig that is sick and needs something but i dont know what. I live in N. Utah and i have 7 piglets in the same pen with straw and heat lamps. i havent had any problems until this one got sick today. The weather has been really sporadic as of late. like today it went from 58 degrees to 38 degrees in about an hour. it wont eat and is shaking really bad. i took it out of the pen away from the others and put it in a separate area by itself. i tried giving it water with a regular baby bottle but still nothing. Let me know if you need any more info. to make a decision. Thanks so much for any help anyone could give me. Thanks, Cheeky

Could possibly be menigitis for which a course of Penicllin(may need to treat for longer than 3 days?) is needed as soon as possible.
    Triggered off more so by extremes of temperature, which is what you are experiencing.