We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

8 week old pig is sick

cheeky17cheeky17 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Vets and Producers
I have an 8 week old pig that is sick. I live in Norther Utah and i have 7 pigs in a pen and all 7 came from the same litter. I had to give one of them an antibiotic shot and im wondering if i just need to do the same thing or if it may be something else. I have them in straw with heat lamps and the weather has been really sporadic the last couple days. By that i mean that it has gone from warm to cold within hours. Today it went from about 54 degrees and then to 32 degrees within about an hour. It is shaking and not eating. Any suggestions? thanks, Cheeky

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    cheeky17 wrote:
    I have an 8 week old pig that is sick. I live in Norther Utah and i have 7 pigs in a pen and all 7 came from the same litter. I had to give one of them an antibiotic shot and im wondering if i just need to do the same thing or if it may be something else. I have them in straw with heat lamps and the weather has been really sporadic the last couple days. By that i mean that it has gone from warm to cold within hours. Today it went from about 54 degrees and then to 32 degrees within about an hour. It is shaking and not eating. Any suggestions? thanks, Cheeky

Only if they suffer from the same problem as your first pig(that I believe had menigitis). Needs to be atleast a 3 day course of penicillin, not just 1 day to ensure it does not rear its ugly head again and that the bacteria is not able to build up a resistant to the drugs you are using.