We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

what is happening with my in pig gilt

keshawkkeshawk Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Vets and Producers
hi, i am confused about my gilt she is close to her due date for farrowing over the weekend she had a blob of white/clear discharge this was on the saturday and on the sunday she had a spot of blood and was showing some signs of farrowing but they went as quick as they came she hasnt produced any milk yet so i am worried as she isnt eating like she should as she does not always get up and eat straight away sometimes in the afternoon feed time she still hadnt eaten her morning feed please advise me :confused:

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    keshawk wrote:
    hi, i am confused about my gilt she is close to her due date for farrowing over the weekend she had a blob of white/clear discharge this was on the saturday and on the sunday she had a spot of blood and was showing some signs of farrowing but they went as quick as they came she hasnt produced any milk yet so i am worried as she isnt eating like she should as she does not always get up and eat straight away sometimes in the afternoon feed time she still hadnt eaten her morning feed please advise me :confused:

A white/clear discharge to me indicates that she is coming on heat and not inpig, especially as there is no milk present. A spot of blood is not normal though so something is not right.
    Make sure you stand her up am and pm to drink and eat and if there is no improvement in her condition I would give her a course of antibiotics ie penicillin.
  • keshawkkeshawk Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    hi, she is in pig as we can feel the piglets moving she is well in her self just wondered what is happening with the discharge and the spot of blood
    edited April 2011
    keshawk wrote:
    hi, she is in pig as we can feel the piglets moving she is well in her self just wondered what is happening with the discharge and the spot of blood

If thats the case then just keep checking her for milk and this will be a good indicator of when she will farrow.
    I hope all goes well.
  • keshawkkeshawk Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    hi, i had the vet out yesterday and she gave her a dose of antibiotics jsut incase she has a infection and said she should be up and about tomorrow now (today) and she is she looks so much happier and better all fingers crossed now for babies arrival
    edited April 2011
    keshawk wrote:
    hi, i had the vet out yesterday and she gave her a dose of antibiotics jsut incase she has a infection and said she should be up and about tomorrow now (today) and she is she looks so much happier and better all fingers crossed now for babies arrival

Good Luck and keep us posted.