We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What do my piglet have?

Robin5kidsRobin5kids Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Pig Tales and Stories
Help! my new piglets are not well. They are itching and have diarrhea. I have only had them for 10 days or so. They started itching about 4 days ago. I bought hog dust for them thinking it was mites, but they are still itching. I noticed the diarrhea about 3 days ago, but it could have started sooner. I am new to pigs.

They seem to be gaining weight and they are still acting okay: runny about and rooting. They are doing a lot of itching though and the runny poop is not good. :( Advice?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Robin5kids wrote:
    Help! my new piglets are not well. They are itching and have diarrhea. I have only had them for 10 days or so. They started itching about 4 days ago. I bought hog dust for them thinking it was mites, but they are still itching. I noticed the diarrhea about 3 days ago, but it could have started sooner. I am new to pigs.

They seem to be gaining weight and they are still acting okay: runny about and rooting. They are doing a lot of itching though and the runny poop is not good. :( Advice?

Piglets generally tend to suffer from Ecoli scour after being born which can be treated with various injectable or orals ie Baytril 5%, Neftin, etc.
    If it were this then they would not still look in a good condition, so it may not be this??
    Outdoors piglets, more so, suffer from a scour called Coccidiosis(grey, bloody scour), which if it was this, and I am not saying its this, treatment is Baycox.
    It could also be a nutritional scour(yellowy, creamy). A sows feed should be gradually increased each day to prevent this.
    Are your pigletswarm enough at night(or day) as this can trigger them to have scour. Put plenty of straw in your hut or hang flaps on the hut door to keep them warmer at night(or day?)
    As to the itching. That might be due to your sow having Lice(seen with a naked eye) or mange, a mite. Ivomectin injectable can be used on your sow, and there are various other treatments for your piglets, beside the Ivomectin. Best would have been to inject your sow a week before farrowing to prevent the piglets from catching this problem, if that is what it is.
    Could of course just be the bedding that your using?
    Seeing the problem is easier(some pics. if possible) or a Vet is the other!
  • Robin5kidsRobin5kids Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    Bedding? What kind would be best? Ours have straw right now.

So far 2 days ago I dusted them with hog dust, in case it is mites/mange/lice and today we dewormed them. Today we went to a grain mill and got them some GOOD feed, as someone said that it could be the food.

They are still itching though. I am worried. Someone told me that pigs itch, but this just does not look right to me.

I will wait another week, (provided that they don't get any worse) and if there is no change I will call the vet.

All advice is helpful.
    edited April 2011
    Ivemectin injection does all three mange, Lice(which you would see if it was present) and worms. All in one shot. This is what I would use. Read your labels carefully and follow exactly for the best result.
    I won't worry too much about the bedding as its sawdust that creates the bigger problem, unless there is alot of dust in your straw.
    As too diet, it is very unlikely to make them itch I would of thought(unless of course someone tells me different!):D :D :D
  • Sugarstone FarmSugarstone Farm Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    Pigs do love to scratch on things. Sounds like you have the basics covered and the advice already given is spot on. If their skin gets irritated that's a sign to step in and find the problem and treat it; the scours is the more pressing problem for them right now.
    edited April 2011
    blonde wrote:
    Pigs dont need to scratch and if they are they have a mange outbreak which can be rectified by using intermectin. Pigs scratching ruins frames, huts etc and they feel unwell, frustsrated and may go off thier feed. Better to treat than to let them scratch all day long every day.

I prefer Ivermectin Blonde, it works so much better!:D :D
  • Sugarstone FarmSugarstone Farm Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    blonde wrote:
    Pigs dont need to scratch and if they are they have a mange outbreak which can be rectified by using intermectin. Pigs scratching ruins frames, huts etc and they feel unwell, frustsrated and may go off thier feed. Better to treat than to let them scratch all day long every day.

Excessive scratching is a problem, yes. But pigs do enjoy a good scratch and every scratch doesn't mean parasite problems.
    edited May 2011
    Excessive scratching is a problem, yes. But pigs do enjoy a good scratch and every scratch doesn't mean parasite problems.

Exactly right, so if you really wish to clarify it take skin scrapings and take them to be anylised. That would be the best option, rather than wasting money.
  • PamapuriaPamapuria Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    OH my pigs love a scratch behind the ears, my boar gets all floppy and rolls over like a dog. His skin is all clear though. Just likes the attention I spose!:)

I know that it is probably a very old fashioned way but to stop the itch and make the skin real nice I pour oil on the pigs back every now and then. Works fine. But alll the advice you have been given so far seems like the modern and best way to treat your problems.

Good Luck. Enjoy the pigs, they are a neat animal.
  • PamapuriaPamapuria Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Oh good I am glad I am using the right oil, even if it is the old way.
    Bit cheaper than the vet medicine I think.

Thanks
    edited June 2011
    Pamapuria wrote:
    Oh good I am glad I am using the right oil, even if it is the old way.
    Bit cheaper than the vet medicine I think.

Thanks

Most things are.:D