We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Can you earn/save money without selling or slaughtering them?

Pig NoobPig Noob Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Vets and Producers
my parents have been running a small farm as a hobby for several years now. they are in the process of retiring this year and want to give that farm to me. I'm interested in growing some organic veggies and fruits but we also have about 50 pigs still living there. My parents used to sell the pigs for some side income. I'm vegetarian and really not interested with supporting the slaughter houses in my area. I don't really mind not having a huge profit but it would be great if the pigs could pay for themselves. I googled pig waste energy for farms but it seems like my pigs are too few. what else can i do with them? Can I at least use their waste for some sort of compost?

Comments

• BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Pig Noob wrote:
    my parents have been running a small farm as a hobby for several years now. they are in the process of retiring this year and want to give that farm to me. I'm interested in growing some organic veggies and fruits but we also have about 50 pigs still living there. My parents used to sell the pigs for some side income. I'm vegetarian and really not interested with supporting the slaughter houses in my area. I don't really mind not having a huge profit but it would be great if the pigs could pay for themselves. I googled pig waste energy for farms but it seems like my pigs are too few. what else can i do with them? Can I at least use their waste for some sort of compost?
    You could breed you sows and sell the babies, you could also breed the sows and swell the mated gilts to others wanting to breed with them and sell the baby boars as babies. You can sel lthe wast as long as it is composted to companies that make garden materials. You could sell your waste product manure to a worm farm. The worms turn it in to compost and that goes out on to the garden.