We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

More outdoor fences.

rhodierhodie Senior Member
edited March 2011 in Vets and Producers
IMG_0090.jpg
Store pigs behind two strand fence.
IMG_0084-2.jpg
Sow and litter behind three strand fence.
IMG_0083-2.jpg
Another view of the sow and litter.

Comments

• rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    All the wires are 'hot' wired, the post in the picture is a gate with spring handles on the wires.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Your not weaning at 3 weeks with piglets that size, hey Rhodie???
    What age are you weaning at?
    edited March 2011
    8 weeks, I am running an organic unit at the moment.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Thought as much(thought maybe 6 weeks, but never as old as 8.)
    What are the good points(size of piglets being 1) about weaning at 8 weeks and what are the draw backs????(biggest being loss in production ie only 2 litter/year instead of 2.4). Do your sows loss more condition at 8 than at 3(sow still loss codition at 3).
    Are you feeding creep before they are weaned?(normally done around 10 days at 3 week).
    You also won't be picking them up by hand unless you name is Rambo!!!!:D (presume with a trailer).
    edited March 2011
    The 8 week weaning is a requerment for organic registration, the biggest drawback is the loss of production as you mention Steve, we only get 2 instead of 2.4 litters/sow/year. The first parities are hard hit on condition, and some need to be rested for a full cycle before re breeding, further compounding the loss of production, especially as my litter sizes average 13 weaned per litter, creep feeding is essential to realise the full growth potential of the piglets. I just run sows and litters onto the trailer, then seperate sows/boar piglets/gilt piglets on the trailer.
    Blonde I would go for 21 day weaning for maximum production especially with the feed prices where they are at the moment, you cannot afford to lose any production without a corresponding premium to compensate.