We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

suffolk wanted rear breed weaners

stevostevo Junior Member
edited September 2012 in Market Place
Hi there looking for rare breed weaners , not g.o.s looking for oxford sandy and black or any other rare breed for pork . regards

Comments

• HammysMomHammysMom Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    rare breeds, not rear breed. Took me a minute to figure it out LOL.

No one puts their location in these ads, at least not a location I can figure out?
  • stevostevo Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    HammysMom wrote:
    rare breeds, not rear breed. Took me a minute to figure it out LOL.

No one puts their location in these ads, at least not a location I can figure out?
    lol woops thats what happens when you have been looking at google way to long i mean rare breeds
  • JaneEJaneE Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    Is Rutland/Leics border any good? I breed Berkshires and have litters ready in April and May. 01162597379. Berkshires have a superb taste. They finish at between 20/24 weeks as a small porker.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Blonde, to make them rarer so they go up in value.:D
    edited March 2011
    Stevie G wrote:
    its to do with the meat better flavor then comercial pigs :)
    edited March 2011
    Stevie G wrote:

Just a little joke(ho,ho).
    So apart from having a different breed, what else do you do to do to make them better than the commerical pig ie do you give different feed and if so what????
    edited March 2011
    Stevie G wrote:
    Just a little joke(ho,ho).
    So apart from having a different breed, what else do you do to do to make them better than the commerical pig ie do you give different feed and if so what????
    :D i like mine medium rare lol, Reason for going for rare breed from standard commerical pigs is that commerical pigs are produce for quick gain of meat because of this the meat is tasteless in a way compared to the rare breed , because The meat that i like to produce i like it to have a wilder taste, to do that i need rare breed which are more closer to the wild pig then commercial, Feed can pay a very big part in making diffrent taste in meat , ie if you give pigs apples and soley feed on apples you would defantly have a diffrent tasting meat then a pig fed on pig nuts or commercial feeds
    edited March 2011
    Surely if you feed the commercial pig differently then it would also taste better?????
    One of the other problems with commercial pigs is they are hung for a long time, hence the loss or lack of taste, so it wouldn't only be due to the way they are feed????
    I was given a fresh ham by one of my employers a few years back for Xmas and by christ it didn't half taste good, so to be honest with you I don't just think its the rate at which a commercial pig grows, but other factors as well.
  • rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    The old saying "you are what you eat" is true of all meat animals, even commercial pigs running on windfall apples, or acorns, will aquire distinctive flavours, when I did my training in meat technology we did extensive taste testing with differently raised pigs and cattle, there are definitely distinctive flavours that can be capitalised on for marketing - grassfed beef, apple raised pork etc.
    edited March 2011
    Stevie G wrote:
    Surely if you feed the commercial pig differently then it would also taste better?????
    One of the other problems with commercial pigs is they are hung for a long time, hence the loss or lack of taste, so it wouldn't only be due to the way they are feed????
    I was given a fresh ham by one of my employers a few years back for Xmas and by christ it didn't half taste good, so to be honest with you I don't just think its the rate at which a commercial pig grows, but other factors as well.
    I have a landrace weaner so hopefully we coulld find out this theory we are feeding her on brewers grain, veg , fruit and pig nuts also comercial pigs mature quick then rare breeds this may pay a factor in lose of taste to meat