We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

lossing baby pigs a 4 days old

durocman1durocman1 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in Vets and Producers
We a littler of pigs born in dec and we lost all but 2 pigs then we had another litter a week later and were able to graft those 2 pigs on that sow she raised hers and those to but now there amoun system just dont seem to be quit right now we had a litter of durocs AI breed 18 tottal 15 alive 2 still born 1 mum and at 4 days old we started losing them and know we only have 5 babies left, then just a few days ago had another litter and they are all doing well so far. I have done some research and so far I have found waisting disease of ontarion ensphalitis that sound like ours need help have had pigs test all come back healthy. We are lost and don't know what to do have raised pigs for 18 plus year have never had anything like this.:(

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited February 2011
    durocman1 wrote:
    We a littler of pigs born in dec and we lost all but 2 pigs then we had another litter a week later and were able to graft those 2 pigs on that sow she raised hers and those to but now there amoun system just dont seem to be quit right now we had a litter of durocs AI breed 18 tottal 15 alive 2 still born 1 mum and at 4 days old we started losing them and know we only have 5 babies left, then just a few days ago had another litter and they are all doing well so far. I have done some research and so far I have found waisting disease of ontarion ensphalitis that sound like ours need help have had pigs test all come back healthy. We are lost and don't know what to do have raised pigs for 18 plus year have never had anything like this.:(

Try vaccinating your sows with Porcol 5 against Ecoli scour. Two shots as a gilt/sow then a booster a weaning or before farrowing.
    Reduce the gilts/sow feed intake just before farrowing and feed bran to stop them getting congested and/or constipated. Start the feed low and gradually build it up. Your piglets may not trive if they don'y get a good amount of milk(colostrum) in the first 12 hours and the untriftyness may be down to this, so if you have big litters split suckle or milk colostrum from the sow and give it to the non-trifty piglets.
    You may want to consider sow vaccination against PRRS or Smedi as another option, but try Porcol 5 first and see how you go and let us know how thing go.