We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Lawsonia Intracellularis

Anthony RollasonAnthony Rollason Junior Member
edited February 2011 in Vets and Producers
We are experiencing some sows and gilts with blood scours, having sent samples to lab for analysis the results came back as lawsonia intracellularis, so we have gone in with 100gms/tonne tylosin for gilts and 40gms/tonne for sows, but my question is how did it get into our high health farm, so if any of you pig people out there have any answes\rs i would be most grateful.
Regards.
Anthony Rollason Bsc,Bvm

Comments

• BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    We are experiencing some sows and gilts with blood scours, having sent samples to lab for analysis the results came back as lawsonia intracellularis, so we have gone in with 100gms/tonne tylosin for gilts and 40gms/tonne for sows, but my question is how did it get into our high health farm, so if any of you pig people out there have any answes\rs i would be most grateful.
    Regards.
    Anthony Rollason Bsc,Bvm
    Something or some one must have brought it in, if you are a high health herd status then you must have a weak spot somewhere in your system that has allowed this to happen. May be you need to be more aware of who enters and who leaves, what comes in when you are not there such as rodents, birds, flies, etc. Just another problem or job for someone to work on!! What they do with their feet and where there boots have been, there hands, bit of a problem if it is a mouse, cant expect him to change his boots or walk through a foot bath!! or wash his feet for that matter!!!
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    There are two threads on the same subject, only my name didn't appear on it so it looks unanswered(under general health!)
    Where have you been hiding!!!!!!!!!!:D
    edited January 2011
    Atleast it wasn't flames, which would have been far worse!!!!!!!!
    Not one to boost(Ho,Ho), but we have 2 cyclones coming are way. One has swerved away from us and is likely to hit the Townsville area(4 hours away and only a cat. 1 or 2), but there is also one behind it, which they reckon has a cat. 4 possiblity!!!! Let hope it goes out to sea or atleast weakens!!!!!!:confused:
    edited January 2011
    Plenty of cloud of the west coast you just need some of it to drop on you.
    I really am glad I am not still in WA seeing as things are the way they are over there. It must be very difficult for you!!!
    If the 2nd cyclone hits us, I will probably be saying something different at the end of next week. I pray it doesn't happen!!!!!:eek:
    edited January 2011
    :confused: Didn't see the floods either as they hit Brisbane and below. We've had rain of course, but no floods, but now are biggest concern is the cyclone sitting off the coast, a cat. 3 to 4, and at present it is due to hit between Innisfall and Yappon(not to far from us. Its some 800k's across so a big one, so we could be in for a bashing!!!!!!!!!(fingers crossed, hopefully not!!!!)
    I couldn't but up with the heat and dry over there, except now!!!!!!
    Batten down the hatches, me maties!!!!!!!
    edited February 2011
    Well Blonde,:D what do you reckon????? It will taken more than a cat. 5 cyclone to get rid of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
    edited February 2011
    No we weren't, it turned not long before getting to us(approx. 200km's) and hit Cardwell and ingham, thankfully I may add. Mercifully only 1(2 others missing???) life was lost, which was not due to the cyclone.
    All in all lucky considering!!!!!!!:D
    And what a contrast, wet here, and bone dry un WA with fires raging.
    Shame some of our rain didn't come over too you!!!!!!
    PS being underground in or after the eye has passed is never a good idea, as what follows wind is lots of rain!!!!!!!
    A mattress and a concrete wall are better or just simlpy leave!!!!!:confused:
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    asdf.zxzx wrote:
    Lawsonia inermis, the henna plant, is the only plant in the family Lythraceae that contains lawsone.
    But this is not a plant but a pig disease. The henna plant is used to dye hair, this does nothave any relation to L. intercellularis that is found as a pathogen in pigs.