We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

unsure

05timothy0605timothy06 Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Vets and Producers
i have about 8 months experience with pigs and i have ran into something at work that i have no clue what is causing it. the pigs are between 40-50 lbs and are not walking on there hind legs. they either drag them behind them or try to walk on them but end up dragging them behind. the guy i work with says it might be an inner ear infection but there do not have there head tilted to one side. can someone help me figure out what is causing this

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    i have about 8 months experience with pigs and i have ran into something at work that i have no clue what is causing it. the pigs are between 40-50 lbs and are not walking on there hind legs. they either drag them behind them or try to walk on them but end up dragging them behind. the guy i work with says it might be an inner ear infection but there do not have there head tilted to one side. can someone help me figure out what is causing this

Weak leg muscles, injuried, twisted or broken back, weak bones due to a Calcuim deficiency or just being born like it. A tail/leg infection may also have caused this problem.
    If it is a Middle-ear infection it can be treated with Penicillin coupled with an anti-inflamatory drug ie Metacam. This may prove him right or wrong if they do or don't recover. Always read and follow the drug instructions.
    If they don't recover they need to be humanely culled(captive bolt or Rifle), rather than allowing them to remain in this condition.
    Hope this helps.
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    sounds like rickets......not a good way to be.....but stevie is right in saying it is best to put them down......
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Could be a Calcium deficiency, or Arthrits,etc., but as with alot of these things its difficult without seeing.
    If you can, best is to get them to the lowest possible slaughter weight and then sell them whilst the goings good. Housing them on straw would also be a good idea to lessen their discomfort.
    Good Luck with what ever you do!!!!!