We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Used Brewers Grains - Advice Needed Please?

viatroviatro Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Vets and Producers
Thank you for reading about my problem. I have 50 British Saddleback Finishers that are kept outside, free range, in pig arks. I have access to spent brewers grains a mixture of malted wheat and barley. While I understand that these grains are usually fed to ruminants, it is tempting to feed them to the pigs. However, I do not have any idea of the nutritional value in terms of protein etc., Can anybody advise me about the nutritional value and also advise me whether it is possible to mix in additives to bring up the protein level to say 16 to 18%. Also can you advise as to what would make the grains more palatable to my snotty little friends? Kind regards and many thanks. Eddie Marshman, Lydiate, Liverpool UK.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Hi Eddie, BG can be feed to pigs, but at rates of only 25% of thier normal diet, because the Crude Protein content is too high.
    So only in limited amounts.
  • viatroviatro Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Stevie G wrote:
    Hi Eddie, BG can be feed to pigs, but at rates of only 25% of thier normal diet, because the Crude Protein content is too high.
    So only in limited amounts.

Many thanks for your reply, can you tell me what is meant by crude protein? Also is the anywhere that I could get more information about the subject of brewers grains.

On a lighter note:- My daughter got very excited when she saw your name. She actually thought that I had got a reply from "Steven Gerrard" who plays for our local football team at Liverpool. Kind regards, Eddie.
    edited December 2010
    If I was Steven Gerrad I would be brewing the beer, not using the by-product, thats for sure!!!!!!:D
    The Crude Protein level of an ingredient is its nitrogen levels. And Brewers grain should only be fed at 35% of a pigs diet, not 25% as I stated earlier, as if fed any higher it surpresses growth and Food Conversion Rates(FCR), rather than promoting it!!!
    There is plenty of info. on the webb about this product, but if you have any problems just let us know, as I have more info. available.
    edited December 2010
    blonde wrote:
    Yes ........you probably would be brewing the beer, consuming it and not having to cart it in that big truck of yours as there would be no beer to truck ...hey Stevie.....what a hang over you would have day after day.....dont need auto pilot Stevie...think you better stick to truck driving Stevie:D :D

Would just keep drinking, so no hang over!!!!!!!!:D
  • viatroviatro Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for your advice and for showing me the right direction to go in. It just proves that I have got a lot to learn, but, there seems to be a mine of friendly information on the Pig Site, so I am absolutely delighted at the response. By the way the grains come from a small organic brewery that disposes of about 500kg a week. We tried some of the waste beer poured over their regular food and the pigs loved it. They got about a pint each, the beer is 5.5% strength and tastes like Newcastle Brown, which I happen to love only in larger quantities. Thanks once again, kind regards, Eddie
    edited December 2010
    Bet you the meat taste good as well. And a beer feed pig is a happy pig, with not a care in the world!!!!!!!!!:D Bit like me on a saturday night hey Blonde, hicup, hicup, hicup............:o
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    You are right about feeding brewers grain. Pigs will also eat cardboard, hay, old tyres and recycle their own dung. But don't ask them to perform to genetic capabilities on it. Duuuuuuuuuh --- that is why most feed proper grain?
    It is amazing what one pig can churn out. They make great compost tumblers as well, just add the necessary ingredients and the pig will do he work for you. Turn it, wee in it, poo in it and process it till it is lovely compost. They also lay on it and enjoy the heat given off by the heap. My vegie patch does well with the spent compost that hs been processed by my girl. She also eats the old material out, it passes through and back in to the garden. I dont add any fertilizer, only what she can produce. The vegies are just great all year around.
    edited December 2010
    Used to swill all my food down with beer!!! Is that the same????:D