We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

grass feeding pigs

coconut0822coconut0822 Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Vets and Producers
Hi all,
I am getting two sows that are pregnant. I would like to start growing pigs. I am trying to save as much money as possible. I have heard that you can grass feed pigs although I have never done it. I have raised pigs in the past when I was a young boy but it has been some time since I have done it. Grain prices have sky rocketed and I am looking for an alternative way to grow pigs. I grow about 80 acres of sorghum every yr to feed to my cattle any left over I sell in the summer. I would much rather keep it and feed to my pigs but I am not sure how beneficial it would be. I would like to add to my ranch and I would like to do it with pigs.
Thanks
Chris

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Grass alone is not enough as a pig is not a ruminant.
    Sorghum can be feed to pigs at below 40lb in weight at 45% of their diet and above 40lb at 95%. So it is usable.
  • coconut0822coconut0822 Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Thanks stevie I was thinking that if I used sorghum to supplement some of the grain then I would be able to save some money.