We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

aggressive sow

juliesjulies Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Vets and Producers
I have a sow, who is a really good mother.
The problem arises when her piglets have to given their iron injection.
She is extremely aggressive and we have had to have her sedated by darting her this time, as she will not allow anyone near the pen.
She was previously in a farrowing cage and destroyed it.
Does anyone know of a supplement that can be given to the sow that will be transported via the milk to the piglets?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    blonde wrote:
    Why not give them (piglets) a supplement that they can consume themselves. There has been reserach done on this idea. short of that run them outside and never have to give iron injections....easy really!

How about just chucking soil over the pen wall and allowing the piglets to root through it, or adding extra iron to the sows diet so that the piglets can root through her dung, or feed her outside the pen(and give her Stresnil?) and hop over the wall and inject them, or let her out, put a drinker with femax in and let the piglets drink from that(only can be done if sow does not have access to the drinker as she will drink or knock it over or off the wall). I have also got a trailer, reversed it back to the pen gate, rattle a feed bucket, got her on the trailer, shut the door and iron her piglets, or let her out, put the piglets in a tub, put the tub on the pen roof, let her back in, then iron the piglets, and so on......
    Where there is a will there is a way!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'ave done every which way in my time!!!!!!! :D
    edited November 2010
    blonde wrote:
    No doubt......but I guess we all have over our time so you not the lone ranger!!!!

Well come on Tonto, enlighten us of your many ways!!!!!!!!!!:D
    edited November 2010
    blonde wrote:
    I amnot being a "Nobby Norris"......
    just agreeing with you.

Just thought it had a note of sarcasm Blonde, that was all. Besides thought all your pigs were so well behaved that you never had any problems, hey Blonde?????? Been telling me fibs by any chance?????:D
    edited November 2010
    :rolleyes: Your an Aussie so I wouldn't expect nothing less!!!!!!
    And all my girls are good girls.........ho,ho,ho,ho,ho,ho.......is all I can say to that. What your really telling me is you cover every angle, otherwise they will put one over on you!!!!!!
    edited November 2010
    I drive a truck because I can and I do pigs if I wish to!!!!! Simple really, hey Blonde!!!!!:D
    edited December 2010
    blonde wrote:
    Where is nobby norris in all of this then.....eh stevie

Now there lies a question????? And does anyone really care????
    edited December 2010
    Another silly remark. The reason I wouldn't breed from it again is what is known as the "law of averages". This law says that it is more likely that she will have another poor litter again, so why waste time breeding from it. That cost alot of time and money!!! It is better to breed from something that has a better chance.
    I don't need to know what the problem is or isn't, it is simply better to replace it!!!!!!!!!:D
    And your saying what??? Give a sow with a cranky attitude Stresnil every day until she changes her attituted?? Now there's a thought???
    When can you start self injecting???(snigger,snigger)