We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

farrowing trouble

muddy fieldmuddy field Junior Member
edited November 2010 in Vets and Producers
one of my sows is near the end of her term with her second litter. she had four not quite a year ago - went smoothly. she's isolated in a shed with it's own "door yard", lots of clean straw, I've been thinking she would deliver this week or weekend. this morning I had teh unhappy surpirse to find the front half of a newborn piglet in a pen wtih soem 6-month pigs - some dictance form the sow. I assume some critter made off with it from the sow's shed. The sow's vulva appears to have delivered, there are no other piglets in the shed or there abouts, and she is plainly still pregnant. she's alert, doesn't seem to be especiallyout of sorts, eating, but quick to lay down.

now what do i do? I don't want to make things worse. area vets say they don't do pigs, and suggest I get a hand in there to see what I find.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    That would probably be the best option to see if there are more pigs inside, but that needs to be done sooner rather than later.
    Sows will eat their own dead piglets and afterbirth, a practice they carry out in the wild, so it may just be that, rather than some animal ie fox, consuming the piglet???