We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

App Problem

Anthony RollasonAnthony Rollason Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Vets and Producers
Anyone out there had much experience with APP, we seem to have abig problem on one of our 90,000 place finisher units, we are finding sudden deaths, no symptoms prior to death, most pigs over 50kgs.
On PM results we found the following- [1] Enlarged livers [2] Enlarged kidneys [3] Enlarged Hearts [4]Blood from nose [5]Pale skin [6]Empty stomach [7] Many lung lesions.
We vaccinate for APP on days 45 and 65, all ventilation and temps are satisfactory plus stocking densities, i would appreciate any of you most welcome comments.

Anthony Rollason

Comments

• HornbechHornbech Junior Member
    edited October 2010
    Dear Anthony Rollason.

Did you finde out morre about APP, if you want i can come over to you for a week and then i will open some pigs, i am sure on i know what you need to do, but i need to open the pigs at my self and see how they look like inside.

Regards
    Brian
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Seem to remember someone on here not long ago having the same problem, which did turn out to be an Pneumonia problem, and his Vet advised him to add medication to his feed as an immediate course of action(tiamulin,OTC,or Lincomycin)
    If you are vaccinating against this already, then my advice would be to review what is being done ie What temperature is the vaccine being store at?, What amount is being given?, and to whether it is being administrated correctly?
    You should really get a Vet to check out the problem first though before infeed medication is done, as if medication is in the feed and then an autopsy is done after, then identifying the problem may well become impossible.
    Are you also using the correct vaccine for the disease you have???
  • mjmmjm Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Check out the research paper on this page
    about vaccination alone failing to control App [Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae] in a Pig Finishing Herd.
    edited December 2010
    In this situation vaccination would have helped greatly, but short term infeed medication would help???
    Any form of stress, this being heat stress brings out the worst in this disease, but how you manage your pig also plays a crucial factor ie good wallows/sprinklers, lower stocking densities, good ventilation, shades, etc.
    I know its easy to say now, but vaccination prior to the hot spell and/or infeed med would have helped???
    And I would say this is what will be said , as with most disease, vaccination alone is not alway the sole solution to the problem.
    edited January 2011
    Hot whether is mainly the big trigger, and its been very extreme over in WA this year and that is where the problem lies. I would say you been very, very luck, especially with how it is in summer in WA.
    Even in the UK most farms vaccinate with Erysorb and the summers are no where near as hot.
    Erysipelis is a very contageous disease when it breaks out and of course vaccination takes time to work. It usually needs to be a two jab process(1 month apart) before it works effectively.
    Iam surprised your Vet hasn't recommended some infeed medication in the mean time as a cover????????? Or are you just injecting individual infected animals with penicillin. Obviously it has hit your pigs hard if they are dropping dead before you have time to treat them.
    I dare say the muddy conditions are making it hard for you to spot the reddish diamond shapes on the skin that usually occurrs with this problem.
    Just hope you don't lose any more until the vaccine has had time to work!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    So Blonde, until you give your pigs a second injection to boost/strenghten your initial injection, you are in the "lap of the Gods". So you may still lose pigs in this period. Hmmmmmm, I would have thought that it would be wise for a short period of time to cover your fats and sows with med????????????
    Has your Vet suggested this or not????? Have you or can you ask him to see what he says. And out of interest who is your Vet? Don't have to tell me, but I am interested to know.
    I suppose I have very occassionally lost a pig to Erysipelis with sudden death(without realising it), but normallly the diamond shapes appear on the skin before they die, and normally I inject and they recover without any deaths. All this surprises me, as I am cartain that in America we did not inject against Erysipelis, and it occurred, but that was indoors, not out, which would probabably why we didn't loss any.
    Hope it gets better soon!!!!
    edited January 2011
    So in the mean time your sows will be at risk from aborting, stillborns, etc.
    Iam surprised he hasn't advise adding Phenoxymethyl penicillin at 200g/tonne for 10 to 14 days just as a precautionary measure???
    I would also think twice about feeding(piglet or fattening) faeces back to your sows during this period as a means of building up herd immuntity as there is a possibility that it might exasperate your situation.
    I suppose your Vet knows what hes doing, after all he is a Pomme!!!!!!!!!:D
    edited January 2011
    Blonde you've misconstruded what I was saying. I wasn't being rude. I am a Pomme, so what I was saying was that because he is a Pomme, that he must know what he is talking about, as simple as that. No rudeness ment!!!!!!:D
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Stevie G wrote:
    Blonde you've misconstruded what I was saying. I wasn't being rude. I am a Pomme, so what I was saying was that because he is a Pomme, that he must know what he is talking about, as simple as that. No rudeness ment!!!!!!:D
    looks like you have done your dash with blonde she has not come back on tonight......where is she... May be it is the word Pomme that has her frazzled...... but what ever she was so helpful and so good at this.... Yes I guess you will say shie might just be sulking but I dont think so Stevie G..... Normally she is pretty quick off the mark with your remarks and chatter........

Blonde..... oh Blonde.....where are you!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    Working hard is what she's most likely doing, as she has to work long days, the poor girl!!!!!!!!:D
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Stevie G wrote:
    Working hard is what she's most likely doing, as she has to work long days, the poor girl!!!!!!!!:D
    Well Stevie she has not returned......!!! how do you know she is working hard long hours...do yiou know her??? or where she is?