We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

dosage rate for oxytocin

Anthony RollasonAnthony Rollason Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Vets and Producers
Can anyone give me an accurate dosgge rate for oxytocin 10 [iu], i am a vet here in Russia and our manufacturers say we should use 3ml, but i have always been lead to believe the rate is 0.5-1.0 ml, by using the high rate we are having increased stillbirths, i would appreciate any comments from all you pig people.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Can anyone give me an accurate dosgge rate for oxytocin 10 [iu], i am a vet here in Russia and our manufacturers say we should use 3ml, but i have always been lead to believe the rate is 0.5-1.0 ml, by using the high rate we are having increased stillbirths, i would appreciate any comments from all you pig people.

Its normally what you've said 0.5-1.0 ml, not as much as 3 ml. Always advise people to read the instruction, but one would presume you can't read them as there in Russian. But hey, I pretty certain its the lesser amount.
    edited July 2010
    Stevie - I am NOT a vet but have used plenty of oxytocin. In my opinion, anything under one mil is a waste of money. I regularly use it on farrowing sows and would not bother under 4 ml, if you want a result. Am I the odd man out? What is the repercussions of my actions.

Never given that amount in one go in my life, and have never had a vet recommend those sort of amounts, only a upto 1m. I internal and then give the oxy. and its never been a problem. Must do some homework on this one and come back to it.
  • rootsafricarootsafrica Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    what are you using it for? assisting a farrowing? give 1ml either into the neck or better, into the labia for faster action. If she she cannot farrow give another 1ml within 5 to 8 minutes after the first dose. Next step is internal. Higher dose is just a waste and wont give any benefit, but wont cause stillbirth - the stillbirth problem is being caused by something else
    edited July 2010
    what are you using it for? assisting a farrowing? give 1ml either into the neck or better, into the labia for faster action. If she she cannot farrow give another 1ml within 5 to 8 minutes after the first dose. Next step is internal. Higher dose is just a waste and wont give any benefit, but wont cause stillbirth - the stillbirth problem is being caused by something else

Just had a dig through other webb sites to check on the dosage rates for Oxytocin and I will also stick with what I originally said that the dosage rate should be between 0.5 ml and 1 ml, but the one thing I would do differently to Roots is the golden rule of using Oxytocin is the INTERNAL first followed by Oxytocin and never the other way round, so I can't agree with you Gough. If you give Oxy. first without the internal you will make things worse, especially if there a pig blocking the opening, so sorry Roots I don't agree with that. Ask any UK Vet and he will tell you the same.
    edited July 2010
    I suppose we all do things different. If there is a blockage no amount of oxy will suffice. I mainly use it in those quantities when it is aproaching dark and would like to witness all the piglets born before we depart. I have tried the 1 mil thing and I stand by my comments of a waste of time. Give them a bit more and watch the piglets spurt out especially in the older sows.

This is what I am saying, that Oxy should never be used until an internal has been done. I am never one to say never, so I may consider it for the future, and try it out. Do you need as much as 4 ml though????
  • mjmmjm Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    I was part of a research group at the Royal Veterinary College, studying the use and dosage of oxytocin for sows in the late 1970s. After our results were presented to the UK Pig Veterinary Society, UK manufacturers changed their directions to 0.5-1ml, instead of the previous 1-5 ml advised dose. So Stevie is spot-on with his advice.

The main practical problem that has led to crazy dose-rates [i.e. more than 1 ml] being advised, is that it should be given i/v or intramuscularly, and if injected into subcutaneous fat it will, like many injectables, be only weakly effective. Giving a massive dose by an erratic route is a poor substitute for proper administration. Just because a sow goes on to produce another pig does not prove that the oxytocin shot did any good.

A single unit of oxytocin i/m [0.1 ml] will actually produce a physiological [natural/normal] increase in uterine contraction and in intramammary pressure.

If more than 10 units [more than 1 ml] are given intramuscularly [for reliable results], the uterus goes into spasm and locks the fetuses, as opposed to producing the progressive waves of contractions that we really want. If a live pig or two has been born, putting them to suckle is a more natural and effective way of stimulating uterine contractions.

Half an ml OR LESS i/m will do the job if in fact low oxytocin levels are the problem. Uterine inertia can also be due to low levels of calcium or other nutrients related to over-prolonged labour. Farrowing crates are not conducive to easy-farrowing of large litters.

To aid farrowing it is better to give a few small doses every 5-15 minutes than to give a single large dose. In human obstetrics oxytocin would be given by the more physiological route of a very dilute i/v infusion over a period of time.

Many sows, under confinement conditions [especially if confined during pregnancy as well] just need a bit of manual help with farrowing, but this has to be gently done, with lubrication if needed, because the birth canal very easily becomes bruised and swollen.

I hope this helps!

Mike
    www.pighealth.com
    edited January 2011
    There is one Goldern rule for the use of Oxy, unless she has finished of course, and than is don't inject it without doing an interenal firstly, as if there is a blokeage you will make things worser than better!!!!!!!
    I thought the Labia is another name for the Vulva???(top of the head stuff this is, and is a close cousin to the Tibia(Ho,Ho)????
    Other aids are a plastic, arm lenght glove and your hand Blonde!!!!!!!:D
    Always the cheeky one!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    Its still a body part, so its related, feet or not!!!!!!!!!!:D
    edited January 2011
    Well if you give her a shot of oxy. her udder will be full to the max. with milk so she will be able to bounce along like a hovercraft, so she won't need to use her legs!!!!!!!!!!!
    That of course would be hard where you are seeing as it is so dry but it a bit different over here in the east seeing as we have had so much rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D