We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The British Pet Pig Society Launches This Weekend

2»

Comments

• matthew firthmatthew firth Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Stevie; I'm still catching up on posts so apologies if out of order...

The intention is to set up a means of re-homing those pigs that have been taken on as pets, and subsequently proved to be too much of a handful!

My wife has been very careful to ensure that we make no reference to the mythical 'micro' pig, rather we are talking about 'pet' pigs, of which we ourselves have several, all living outside, however all delightful!

Hope that helps...
  • borderborder Member
    edited June 2010
    Matthew, I have pm'd you.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks very much
  • borderborder Member
    edited June 2010
    There is a statement from LPF on a thread in the Market Place section.
    edited June 2010
    I couldn't find it - will have a look. Thanks
  • piggyloupiggylou Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Just caught up on here, I have decided not to pay £20 for membership when there are many helpful forums around for free, I know this one is purely for pet pigs which I am interested in, but I am really saddened that already there are hundreds of pet pigs in need of rehoming. Why are breeders still breeding them when they clearly do not stay small. Just look through on here and already theres posts of 'rehome your pet pig here'. Very worrying indeed. Plus its very confusing of who's who and who's involved and who's not! I am worried that the bpps will just be a vehicle for breeders to advertise something that really is not true to its description, the micro/mini pig is just a new craze, no-one really knows how they will grow as they just have not been breeding them for long enough, and now everyone wants to breed them, there will be inbred pigs all over as they are not a registered breed. Personally I would not buy one unless it came with a guarentee, and thats won't happen!
    edited June 2010
    All fair comments piggylou. Have a look again in a few months time and hopefully you'll see it agrees with you...

Happy pig keeping!
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Matthew, yes I will keep watching with interest, I do hope it does what it says on the tin, so to speak! For the time being though, I am not sure, good luck with it, I just hope people see sense, and not through 'rose tinted spectacles' when it comes to keeping pigs, pet or otherwise.
  • willowwillow Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Afternoon all :)

Well Stevie G i hope the weather is as glorious in Oz as it is here to day its beautiful unlike the mood on the forum :(

Firstly i must say i am of no relation (business or otherwise) to ANY member of this forum, I have NO links to either Little Pig Farm, Heidi Firth-BPPS, or any of the other names mentioned on here. (Sorry cant remember them all)

I too like you, Stevie am interested in the micro pig trade, I believe that the best of the breeding is still yet to be done but it is there to be taken.

With reference back to all previous posts on this subject - It seems that the issue that other members seem to have is with Little Pig Farm.
    Little pig Farm as issued a statment on their site saying they have NOTHING to do with the BPPS.

It would be EXTREMELY STUPID to make such a bold statement and then be involved in anyway shape or form, both on the part of Little Pig Farm and that of BPPS.

So EVEN IF Little Pig Farm was involved they have publicly backed down Little Pig Farm is (if they were at all) no longer involved.

Whilst i appreciate that certain members appear (from the post i have read) to have serious issue with the breeder in question. I fail now to see what this has to do with BPPS.

If the two were linked in the begining they are NOW most definetly seperate as again they would be most foolish to take membership money having stated quiet catergorically they have no links with each other.

In fairness to BPPS they have taken NO money as of yet as far as i am aware - they have honestly said we dont know what we will use it for.
    No doubt they will soon let us know and then we can decide if we want to join or not.

I personally am satisfied that any links that were have been severed and i wish BPPS the very best of luck.

We NEED something like this in the UK Mrs Firth as put time and effort in to this site (they are not created over night) and i think it is unfair to dismiss the site due a friendship she had/has with a breeder wether you like that breeder or not.

I feel that they have been caught up in something that has been going on for the longest time and its not fair.

This of course is only MY opinion next questions -

Will i put my money where my mouth is?
    Yes i think i will if they let me down i wont go back again the following year.

You can get advice for free why pay?
    yes i know i can get it for free but i want the feeling of community in a non-judgemental enviroment.

I would like to see my fee going towards the upkeep of Pigs that need rehoming.

This site could do SO MUCH GOOD we just need to give it a chance
  • borderborder Member
    edited June 2010
    Willow, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However I must just point out a couple of things:-

First it was only last week Jane was saying she was involved in an article that appeared in East Anglian Daily News. The journalist has confirmed that she catogorically told him she was involved. I agree we have to now give her the benefit of the doubt as it would be a very stupid person who puts out a statement and then stays involved.

When you take money off people, you have to be whiter than white. There is no doubt about it that Jane has had an involvement with it and therefore it would have been better of Matthew to say yes she had an involvement, but she is no longer involved. We would have then moved on. It seems the whole micro business is about lying and dishonesty, even when there is a chance to do some good with this site, it has started off on a bed of mistrust and suspicion with the experts they had, leaving.

On the subject of taking money. There are some really nice forums that are available for people to talk pigs. Downsizer, River cottage etc with a really nice community. On here are people that are experienced in pigs. Not just pet pigs, but this is what people have to realise. A pig is a pig is a pig, micros are no different whatsoever from large pigs. They still have the same needs etc Would a miniture horse be any different from a large horse, no, so a small pig is the same as a big pig and what pet pig owners need more than anything is old hand experience to get them over problems. For instance on facebook there has been some questions about behaviour. These are the sort of questions that only experienced pig keepers can answer.

I am also concerned that as Heidi and Jane are good friends, confirmed by their conversations on facebook, you will not be allowed to talk about the bad pig practices that the breeder carries out, which is then not giving a true picture to the public. The website may be independant but unfortunately because of this connection, it can never be truly independant and people will not be allowed to hear what is going on and surely this is the whole point of the website to educate the owners and protect these pigs.
    edited June 2010
    willow, I actually think its a shame if the bpps need the £20 per person per year membership money to pay for the rehoming of unwanted pigs. If breeders were genuine (and I dont think they can be because these little pigs have not been around long enough for anyone to be able sell them as genuine mini pigs) then there would not be so many needing new homes! I read on one forum of a 12 week old piglet on its 3rd home! how shocking is that, if the first customer was advised correctly they would not have bought it in the first place.
  • borderborder Member
    edited June 2010
    It was a six week old piglet pigglou!
    edited June 2010
    Border
    The Article in last weeks East Anglican is exactly that 'last week' im talking about now today.

You also said 'there is no doubt about it Jane had an involvement' HAD is the word i would like to pick up here HAD so doesnt any more? I think to day any doubt as been squashed.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing and if involved from day one it may have been better to have said 'yes she was but now she aint! but you live and you learn.

Yes there are other sites i know i particularly like one of them, but why cant we have another? there is plenty of room for another view on things.

Facebook well what can you say about that - Does has much harm as it can do good?

Friendships? why cant they be friends?

You say you wont be able to talk about bad practices of certain breeders?

Well it doesnt stop you now does it? you have your say but you just do it on another forum. Which is exactly what i would do if i felt Mrs Firth was protecting any breeder that was 'proved' to have done bad things.

So i am prepared to see what Mrs Firth as got to give and look forward to it.

Anyway the sun is shining the footie is about to start and im off to have a beer :D you never know we might win!!
    edited June 2010
    Piggylou

i couldnt agree more!! and hopefully the BPPS will help educate the idiots that purchase the pigs having done NO RESEARCH what so ever.

In the mean time if i pay £20.00 a year for being a member that is what i would like to see some of the money go towards because for what ever reason the pig is homeless we will have a fall out.
    edited June 2010
    border- no definatley 12 weeks so must be another one, shame.
    willow - well lets wait and see, I will anyway, I just hope the bpps really is what we hope it is, time will tell.
    edited June 2010
    Cracking stuff - I love the way this anonymous border woman KEEPS calling me a liar!!!

If you have anything to substantiate your nonsense, let's see it, if not, stop causing trouble for kicks, and let the grown ups talk sense PLEASE!
    edited June 2010
    On balance, I actually don't know why I'm wasting my time with some of these idiots, so I'll come off.

Heidi had the right idea from the off...
    ...now you can go back to victimising LPF or whoever the hell else is next on your list.

I trust you'll enjoy yourselves.
    edited June 2010
    As a final P.S.; Border...
    ...in response to this following quote in your post above;

"it would have been better of Matthew to say yes she had an involvement, but she is no longer involved. We would have then moved on. It seems the whole micro business is about lying and dishonesty, even when there is a chance to do some good with this site, it has started off on a bed of mistrust and suspicion with the experts they had, leaving."

...BPPS was never ANYTHING to do with micro pigs, it was/is about PET pigs. Have another look!!! The only dishonesty appears to be in the provenance of your dodgey info!
    edited June 2010
    Perhaps I should never have posted here, I'm sorry I do not want to be involved like this :eek: I am just being honest really.
  • borderborder Member
    edited June 2010
    Matthew, What nothing to do with micros?????? then why was it on Janes site, the famous breeder of micros. Matthew I am not going to post on here any longer, basically we are going around in circles and it is going nowhere. People will make their own judgement from the evidence that Jane has put on her website and in recent articles. As far as I am concerned you are not answering direct questions in either emails to you or on here. I know what I know and obviously the experts knew as well hence they left. Whats the saying, you can kid some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. (well something like that anyway). So good luck Matthew, I just think both you and Jane are looking foolish with one of you denying the other is involved and the other saying she is. Mmmmm very professional. I leave you to it.
    edited June 2010
    Thank Christ for that!!!
  • smiffysmiffy Member
    edited June 2010
    good grief

i have emailed admin and asked for this whole thread to be deleted!
    for the avoidance of doubt matt, I am TJ.. I emailed you a few days ago!

Unless you would all like to remove your own posts...this whole thread has got way out of hand!
    edited June 2010
    Suits me. Thanks for arranging that...
    ...I now know who the offender is anyway via a third party, thus know who to avoid in the future.

Thank you.

To all other sensible partakers; I shall message you independently to confirm my findings.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Stun guns, self defense, Personal Alarms, Hidden Cameras.
    Air soft, animal resellers, blowguns, crossbows, diversion safes, handcuffs, home protection, knives, mace defensive sprays, metal detectors, pepper sprays, personal alarms, personal protection, safety lights, slingshots, steel batons, stun guns, tasters.
    http://www.xtra-protection.com/

Just what we needed, someone to lighten the mood!