We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Iowa Select Farms Company ( not every farm owned but a few )

PigSuttonPigSutton Member
edited June 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
In all, this is a great company. and a Huge major resource for the hog industry. As this was my first place to work with piglets... I noticed something.

Treatments were getting wrote down but not done.
Circoflex vacc is the same way.
Iron injection
antibiotics to save the piglets
All being paper faked, or poured out behind peoples backs.

It made me so mad that I told the sow farm boss.... nothing got done, no warning, no talks, no nothing.

I quit for the lack of care to the pigs because issues were not being resolved, and even proof was offered. But they would rather have you keep your mouth shut, then dealing with a problem.

This may not be all of the farms, but im just getting it off my chest that I hate the fact that some people stop the care.... the reason why you should even be in the business... the care.

Nothing makes me feel better than going to work, knowing im going to save lives today. But that place was so mass produce and nothing was being watched over, and the watch over people didnt want to hear what was wrong and just covered it up.

Once again this was not all the Iowa Select Farms, but it was 2 out of 4 that I went to.

I quit and finally the another person higher talked to me, and I told him what was going on... the sow abuse, the treatments being faked, throwing of piglets, lack of control on all means.

Then I told him the specific people who were involved.

I quit.

And they are still employeed at these same farms.... what the heck !:mad:

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    PigSutton wrote:
    In all, this is a great company. and a Huge major resource for the hog industry. As this was my first place to work with piglets... I noticed something.

Treatments were getting wrote down but not done.
    Circoflex vacc is the same way.
    Iron injection
    antibiotics to save the piglets
    All being paper faked, or poured out behind peoples backs.

It made me so mad that I told the sow farm boss.... nothing got done, no warning, no talks, no nothing.

I quit for the lack of care to the pigs because issues were not being resolved, and even proof was offered. But they would rather have you keep your mouth shut, then dealing with a problem.

This may not be all of the farms, but im just getting it off my chest that I hate the fact that some people stop the care.... the reason why you should even be in the business... the care.

Nothing makes me feel better than going to work, knowing im going to save lives today. But that place was so mass produce and nothing was being watched over, and the watch over people didnt want to hear what was wrong and just covered it up.

Once again this was not all the Iowa Select Farms, but it was 2 out of 4 that I went to.

I quit and finally the another person higher talked to me, and I told him what was going on... the sow abuse, the treatments being faked, throwing of piglets, lack of control on all means.

Then I told him the specific people who were involved.

I quit.

And they are still employeed at these same farms.... what the heck !:mad:
    I would do the same thing and quit, as I wouldn't be able to put up with crap like that. Worked for Murphy Brown over there, but they weren't as bad as that, but one time I confronted some idiot, who said If you don't get out of my way I'll whoop your arse", besides hers(the gilts that is). Needless to say I did not move for the idiot. Best is to work for the smaller companies, rather than the biggies as its a little less a numbers game.
    Look on agricareers, there may be jobs there.
  • PigSuttonPigSutton Member
    edited June 2010
    Well as of right now im over in Jewell Iowa ( next to Ames Iowa ) and have switched to a smaller company :) Actually there is more knowledge in this company and doing my own research is a big part... but being a robot day after day for large companies does not teach you much at all. Everything you basically have to learn on your own on your own time like I do, things turn up alot more like "hey thats not right" or "I think we could try this" just by simply looking around the iowa extension website, their podcasts... and many other swine websites and personal experiance is much greater at a smaller place where responsability is on your alone for the pigs health and what they are dieing from.

NOTE* I Cant wait for the World Pork Expo in Des Moines, im going on friday ! it is like 40 miles away from where I live. So Excited to see and learn new things for my industry.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    PigSutton wrote:
    Well as of right now im over in Jewell Iowa ( next to Ames Iowa ) and have switched to a smaller company :) Actually there is more knowledge in this company and doing my own research is a big part... but being a robot day after day for large companies does not teach you much at all. Everything you basically have to learn on your own on your own time like I do, things turn up alot more like "hey thats not right" or "I think we could try this" just by simply looking around the iowa extension website, their podcasts... and many other swine websites and personal experiance is much greater at a smaller place where responsability is on your alone for the pigs health and what they are dieing from.

NOTE* I Cant wait for the World Pork Expo in Des Moines, im going on friday ! it is like 40 miles away from where I live. So Excited to see and learn new things for my industry.
    It wasn't "my cup of tea either", which is why I didn't stay. They had everything written down as how things should be done. Sows in farrowing crate had food constantly in front of them, so that the sow had too much rather than too little feed, etc. To me that is not how it should be done, but they sort of wrote a manual for "idiots" because that was usually alll they were able to hire. I don't do pigs any longer, but still find it all very interesting and still consider going back. This for the moment fills the gap, until something comes along. Enjoy your show.