ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

weaned pigs with scours

Dmiller Junior Member
edited October 2012 in General Pig Health
Weaned pigs last sunday. Now 8 days later they are showing up with scours.
Other than changing them to a feed with lower protien is there a recomendation on what to do next. I could catch them all and give a round of penecillin if necessary but was thinking this sounded more like a feed issue.

Comments

• biocelengbioceleng Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    either cocoa beans or oxytetracycline long acting 2ml could help.

bioceleng farm
    br. subilang kec. payangan bali
  • Mulberry Farm Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Have they been wormed?
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Dmiller said:
    Weaned pigs last sunday. Now 8 days later they are showing up with scours.
    Other than changing them to a feed with lower protien is there a recomendation on what to do next. I could catch them all and give a round of penecillin if necessary but was thinking this sounded more like a feed issue.
    Change of feed will cause scours. when I have little pigs around if feed them a creep when on Mum an then when i wean I keep the feed the same...... dont want to change the feed that they are used to. It is traumatic when weaning so feed that is familiar is a good idea, give it to them until they reach some where between 18 - 20 kg. by then they have forgotten about Mum and she has gone dry and been re-mated...... takes the hassles out of weaning...give it a try next time you have tiny pigs on mum and follow the feed through the system....
  • Dmiller Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    No they have not been wormed yet (in answer to the post above).

As for the creep feeding. Yes I had them on creep feed for a week prior to weaning, weaned at 21 days (approx 20 lbs). They were on the same feed in the pen that they were on in the creep feeder. I took them off of the high protien starter and switched them to the maintenance feed that the sow is on. Two days of that seems to have helped a lot. Will gradually switch them back to the starter feed over a week I guess.
  • I8IggyI8Iggy Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Top dress the feed with Bounce Back electrolites or canned pumpkins and that will help with the scours, too.
  • JMG Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    Give acidifier to water drinkers for the first seven days post weaning at a dilution of 0.1 - 0.2% considering your acidifier has pH of 2. If you are giving wet/gruel feeding better also to mix water with acidifier. I helps a lot. Just be sure that 50 - 70% of the piglet water intake per day is supplemented with acidifier. Enrofloxacin is also effective for scouoring.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Know Your Pigs - Old Pond Publishing