ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

old spot no spots

Jamie Russell Member
edited March 2010 in PMWS and PDNS
hi all
my old spot sows have just given birth ones had 12 but only 7 have spots and the other 5 are just pink
ones had 9 but only 5 have spots the others pink
ones had 11 and they are all pink
all are 5 days old and the boar is also old spot why are some pink and will they produce spots soon.a bit concerned any help.
as i say both boar and sow are pure old spots

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Thats always as it goes!
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    May be they vanished being old spots......;)
    Its now called a Gloucester no spot! The genetics are the same as the others that is for sure.
  • Jamie Russell Member
    edited March 2010
    can any body give me that in english please
  • rhodie Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Colouration is unstable, saddlebacks often have piglets which are all black or have too big a 'saddle'. the piglets without spots might still develop them over the next few weeks, some, however, will remain white, it is unusual to have so many without spots in one litter, you will just have to wait and see how many will still develop their spots.
  • Jamie Russell Member
    edited March 2010
    thanks for the English m8ty i will c how they go on
    edited March 2010
    Jamie Russell said:
    thanks for the English m8ty i will c how they go on
    I thought you had Gloucester Old spots and not Saddle Backs?? Or have I missed something in the translation. Whether they have the spots or not your piglets are genetically equal, unless your boars or sow is not what its supposed to be.
  • Jamie Russell Member
    edited March 2010
    they are oldspots hes using saddlebacks as an example i think
  • paull Member
    edited March 2010
    who knows and it all taste the same
    edited March 2010
    paull said:
    who knows and it all taste the same
    I think its the other way around, as I wasn't being serious, just teas......ing!
    edited March 2010
    Stevie G said:
    I think its the other way around, as I wasn't being serious, just teas......ing!
    News Blonde????? What speaketh you? I think that dry, hot weather in WA has taken hold of your brain!
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    It has certainly zapped my energy....I will be glad to see the winter and the puddles!
    Iam certainly glad Iam nolonger over there. Its nice to have a wet season as it gives a nice break from the sun and heat.
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    Should have kept quiet for just a few more hours, as we have just come through a hell of a thunderstorm. Claps of thunder which sent pigs running into the huts and out again. Wind and a dust storm comming across the landscape. Grey skies along with blue and dust. Then the rain and it is all mixed up..but now that we've had around 1" of rain it is all wet. Been out with hay tonight. Still raining, and still a sky show, but distant to the east. A little thunder. Earlier in the day we had blackouts but during the storm we had power....bonus ...generally that is not the case.

Few lids off feeders , but generally alright all around the piggery. All are tucked up in the sheds and are asleep. Checked all with a torch light tonight. Still raining, but not like it was. The fierceness of the rain has slowed down quite considerably. The wind has all but died. I guess it might rain through the night. Most of the water has sucken in to the hot parched
    ground from the fierce summer sun that we have endured throughout the long days. Seeding gear will come out of the sheds around the countryside. There will be a germination..whether it keeps going or not is unknown. It may of course die out again if there is no follow up rain, but we shall have to wait and see. But for now it will be a little green. Long time since we have seen green pastures.
    Its good that you finally got some rain as it was much needed. Different story over here as we have plenty! Most of the east coast has had exceptional amounts with the help of a few cyclones, as for us its thankfully normal for this time of year.
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    We actually got more than we bargained for. Hail stones the size of "golf balls". Winds that tore down trees, lots of rain that lay on the roads and pathways. What a mess. No power for a few days....So No electric fence to keep the girls and the boys in.....
    Having a heavy duty car battery and a transformer is always a good idea when outdoors for such occassions. Maybe something you ought to consider for the future because WA weather(and ours of course!) has a tendency to be like that!
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    Have thought about it and that is all. The brain has been working over time Lately
    Yes, been there many time before, so I know have it feels!