ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

square foot

Reideo Junior Member
edited October 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
Wondering what everyones thoughts are on square foot per animal in a small hold operation. I am looking at doing 2 or 3 wieners on a small (2 acre) property. I am thinking about both shelter and pen/range. Ground is shaded with mean temperature of 15 - 20 C. Lots of space taken up with other endeavours so thinking about a reasonable humane limit.
Cheers

Comments

  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Reideo said:
    Wondering what everyones thoughts are on square foot per animal in a small hold operation. I am looking at doing 2 or 3 wieners on a small (2 acre) property. I am thinking about both shelter and pen/range. Ground is shaded with mean temperature of 15 - 20 C. Lots of space taken up with other endeavours so thinking about a reasonable humane limit.
    Cheers
    Hi Reideo, I'll answer this backwards(or should that be up-side down) From weaning at 3 weeks to 24 weeks the temperature range should be 30 C - 22 C, so your temperature would fall too low unless you use straw, Flaps, etc...
    As for stocking densities, weaners should be kept at 7-15 kg 10 pigs/mSq( 3 feet X 3 feet) up to 10 kg, 16 kg- 30kg 6.7 kg/msq(3x3) up to 20kg, 31- 55kg 3.8 pigs/msq up to 40kg(3x3), 56 - 90kg 2.4 pigs/msq up to 70kg. These are Australian standards. Hope it helps!!! Happy pigging!
  • Rockrothwell Member
    edited March 2010
    Stevie G said:
    Hi Reideo, I'll answer this backwards(or should that be up-side down) From weaning at 3 weeks to 24 weeks the temperature range should be 30 C - 22 C, so your temperature would fall too low unless you use straw, Flaps, etc...
    As for stocking densities, weaners should be kept at 7-15 kg 10 pigs/mSq( 3 feet X 3 feet) up to 10 kg, 16 kg- 30kg 6.7 kg/msq(3x3) up to 20kg, 31- 55kg 3.8 pigs/msq up to 40kg(3x3), 56 - 90kg 2.4 pigs/msq up to 70kg. These are Australian standards. Hope it helps!!! Happy pigging!
    Hey Stevie,

    Thanks for this, but a bit more info would really help..

    1. I've got 6-10 (depends on litter size) little ones, that will be weined at 3 weeks, coming, and am wondering........., with a good volume of hay/straw in a 'pig pallace' of about 2 metres (bacisally a large dog house, with only the roof insulated to prevent condensation and relying on the hay inside that the pigs will snuggle in, in place of insulation for the walls & floor) will they be alright down to freezing? Or should I put them in the greenhouse in a crate with a heat lamp for a while?

    2. If they should go into the greenhouse with heat lamp for a while, to what size should they be before I put them out in the 'Pig Pallace'? (with heaps of hay to snuggle in) where outside temps will go to freezing.

    3. they will of course have a 10metre x 10 metre pen to do their thing in where the pig pallace is placed, and will of course have to come out of the pig pallace to eat & excrete (which in the cold I'd assume will be pretty fast), and play in the dirt on warm days till it warms up, but should they be confined to a smaller outside area for a while as well? If so, until they are how big?

    4. I've seen them, seemingly comfortable, in damned chilly conditions (3-5 degrees C & wet) with all of a tarp for protection & they appeared fine, but they were 100kg, not little ones. The owner said they were fine, just ate more to stay warm (though it looked cruel as hell)

    5. Sorry, bit confused with the number you mentioned for stocking

    you said
    a>"As for stocking densities, weaners should be kept at 7-15 kg 10 pigs/mSq( 3 feet X 3 feet) up to 10 kg"

    b>"16 kg- 30kg 6.7 kg/msq(3x3) up to 20kg,"

    c> " 31- 55kg 3.8 pigs/msq up to 40kg(3x3),"

    d> "56 - 90kg 2.4 pigs/msq up to 70kg".

    I'm confused. Woudl that be...numbers of animals per square meter up to the specified weights or.........kg of amimal per square meter (you mentioned pigs/msq...)

    Many Thanks!

    Shane
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Rockrothwell said:
    Hey Stevie,

    Thanks for this, but a bit more info would really help..

    1. I've got 6-10 (depends on litter size) little ones, that will be weined at 3 weeks, coming, and am wondering........., with a good volume of hay/straw in a 'pig pallace' of about 2 metres (bacisally a large dog house, with only the roof insulated to prevent condensation and relying on the hay inside that the pigs will snuggle in, in place of insulation for the walls & floor) will they be alright down to freezing? Or should I put them in the greenhouse in a crate with a heat lamp for a while?

    2. If they should go into the greenhouse with heat lamp for a while, to what size should they be before I put them out in the 'Pig Pallace'? (with heaps of hay to snuggle in) where outside temps will go to freezing.

    3. they will of course have a 10metre x 10 metre pen to do their thing in where the pig pallace is placed, and will of course have to come out of the pig pallace to eat & excrete (which in the cold I'd assume will be pretty fast), and play in the dirt on warm days till it warms up, but should they be confined to a smaller outside area for a while as well? If so, until they are how big?

    4. I've seen them, seemingly comfortable, in damned chilly conditions (3-5 degrees C & wet) with all of a tarp for protection & they appeared fine, but they were 100kg, not little ones. The owner said they were fine, just ate more to stay warm (though it looked cruel as hell)

    5. Sorry, bit confused with the number you mentioned for stocking

    you said
    a>"As for stocking densities, weaners should be kept at 7-15 kg 10 pigs/mSq( 3 feet X 3 feet) up to 10 kg"

    b>"16 kg- 30kg 6.7 kg/msq(3x3) up to 20kg,"

    c> " 31- 55kg 3.8 pigs/msq up to 40kg(3x3),"

    d> "56 - 90kg 2.4 pigs/msq up to 70kg".

    I'm confused. Woudl that be...numbers of animals per square meter up to the specified weights or.........kg of amimal per square meter (you mentioned pigs/msq...)

    Many Thanks!

    Shane

    Hi Shane, I think I will answer all of this backwards.


    5.Firstly to the stocking densities. I've looked throught the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland and Australias stocking density regulations all are the same except the USA which is slightly different. If you stick with the others you won't go to far wrong as their codes of practice are higher(bar Oz who still use stalls).
    Those figure I gave are to do with the pigs lying space. When they lay down(sleep), they must be able to lay without touching another pig so they have the ability to cool down if needs be. They must also have the ability to have access to food and water at all times.
    a> pigs weighing between 7 -15kg( average weight 10kg) allows you to kept 10 pigs/msq up to 10kg.
    b> and so on............

    This is not really a clear way of putting it.
    Another way of doing it is by hut size: 4.6 x 3.0m = 13.8m

    Wt 7-14kg No. 72 Pig/Sqm 0.26

    Wt 15-29kg No. 62 Pig/Sqm 0.30

    Wt 30-54Kg No.47 Pig/Sqm 0.40

    Wt 55-84Kg No.26.6 Pig/Sqm 0.5

    Wt 85-110Kg No. 21 Pig/Sqm 0.62

    Wt 110kg + No. 18.8 Pig/Sqm 1.00


    If you can understand the above you can then work out how many pigs your hut will hold up to a certain weight.
    For example:- 2m x 2m =4m2 4 divide by 0.26 =15.3 so you can have 15 pigs at 7-15kg and so on.
    Hope you understand this better. If not look at stocking densities on this Site.

    1. Its trial and error with straw, but you want plenty so they can hide themselves in it. I would buy plastic flaps to put on your huts to make it warmer inside then you won't need so much straw. You can buy clear plastic rolls( or use other stuff) and cut but make sure your flaps over lap, especially with small pigs. You can make it so they can be removed when your pigs get older. I will explain that later.
    Hurdles are best also on the front of the hut so your pigs can't go far. You can add more hurdles as they grow later or go electric.
    Your hut will have a step so you need to reduce the step down with wood, blocks, etc.
    A water bowl will be needed and/or nipple drinker at the right height or so they can step up until old enoght to reach.
    2. If you do the first stage there maybe no need for them to go into a green house with lamps.
    3. Yes, when smaller the outside area needs to be smaller. Use hurdles for the first week or 2( as explained in 1).
    4. 75% of your cost is feed, so keeping your pigs warm is best. Of course the older they get the better they can survive in colder temperatures, but thats never how Ive done it. Certainly not through choice anyway!

    Look on John Booths pig hut site. It has picture on it which will give you ideas, also has stocking densities, types of troughs,etc...........Have a browse. Hope all helps.
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2010
    blonde said:
    You may also have access to a "model code of practice in your country" and that should give all the specification that are required to keep pigs on a small lot.
    Most are very similar( Canada, USA and Oz), but yes it always pays to ensure they are relevant to your country.
  • Rockrothwell Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys!

    lots to think about & lots of helpful info!

    Cheers,
    Rock
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2010
    There trying a smarter approach!!!!!!!! Lets pretend we are interested in this site, and then sliding in "watch Saw in 3D" later(its not on this tread, but has been on others).:D

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books