ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

PVC2 Vaccines

luky Junior Member
edited January 2011 in PMWS and PDNS
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you has ever run into problems with circovirus breaking out in pigs, even after vaccinating for disease. I know vaccines aren't perfect and there are a host of issues that can make them not work as well as they should, but in my case it seems worse then just that.

I wean piglets at 28 days and vaccinate with Ford Dodge/Wyatt/"Pfizer" PVC2 vaccine, single shot. First signs we are seeing, are piglets getting gaunt "white" at around 50 to 60 days old, some first signs are even at older age. And eventually pigs will just waste away. We recently put a pig down at about 80 days of age and did autopsy with vet (pig was very robust, strong, no sign of wasting, but breathing heavy and off feed only for a day or two) lab results came back as Circovirus. Never seen an acute case like this, all of my other circo pigs are chronic wasting away. Also seeing pigs (one or two) with classic PVC2 lesions.

Vet recommended we try different vaccine; like circumvent or circoflex. We decided to go Circoflex (single shot, but more expensive). Will see how this all turns out.

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Looking throught this Site gives you alot of infomation on PMWS/PVC2. What most people have done is gone for batch farrowing/all in all out systems rather than relying on just vaccinations. The way to achieve this is by not weaning some of your sows for 6 weeks, so that 3 weeks weaned sows are weaned with 6 week weaned sows as a group. If I were you I would also look to change to this system as a means of controlling your problem!
  • luky Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    Your right, I bet it would clean up some of my circo issues and then some. But for me this is not a option, because I would basically have to have double the farrowing crates that I have now, I have looked at it and would prefer it, but it does not work for me.

But there have to be some downsides to batch farrowing as well, besides lots of work at once, I guess if you ever have problems you have a lot of them at once.
    edited February 2010
    Cash flow being one, as your keeping your pigs on the sow longer. Long term though, you will end up with better growth rates, and FCR, so where you lose on the one hand, you also gain on the other!
  • mjm Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    Hi Luky!

Your experience is very interesting, thanks for sharing it.

There have been reports that high levels of maternally-derived antibodies [MDAs] can interfere with the Fort Dodge vaccine. I am told that the Intervet vaccine defines an interference level of higher than 1/320 sow-derived antibodies.

The CircoFlex vaccine has been demonstrated to be resistant to MDAs. Whether this is an expression of antigen content in the vaccine, or protection from the adjuvant (cyclodextrin produces a sponge-like release) has not been established. More info on PCV2 vaccines at: www.pighealth.com/circovirus.htm
    edited June 2010
    mjm said:
    Hi Luky!

Your experience is very interesting, thanks for sharing it.

There have been reports that high levels of maternally-derived antibodies [MDAs] can interfere with the Fort Dodge vaccine. I am told that the Intervet vaccine defines an interference level of higher than 1/320 sow-derived antibodies.

The CircoFlex vaccine has been demonstrated to be resistant to MDAs. Whether this is an expression of antigen content in the vaccine, or protection from the adjuvant (cyclodextrin produces a sponge-like release) has not been established. More info on PCV2 vaccines at: www.pighealth.com/circovirus.htm
    Not been involved with PMWS for along time, but having read up some it comes back to the same thing. It is better controlled by hygene, all-in all out systems etc. One iron needle per needle, teeth clipers always steriled etc. Management of your pig gets the best results and is cheaper, rather than just relying on a vaccine. And vaccination of the piglet is best in preference to sow vaccination(passive immunity).
  • Yakult Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    mjm said:
    Ahh, that explains a lot... thanks for the link, it was exactly what I was looking for :)

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books