ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

off food

Jamie Russell Member
edited January 2010 in PMWS and PDNS
ive got a boar and sow mating and all of a sudden my sow has gone off here food( three days now)she will have a mouth full then leave it but drink water alot.she just stands and stares and lies down. she kind of shivers too.
now the boar as gone of his food now with the same syptons as the sow.
can anyone enlighten me with these symptons and any known cures.

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    It maybe Mycotoxosis, which means mouldy feed, which you would need to get tested. Quick and easy solution is remove the mouldy feed and give them other(non-mouldy feed to eat). I would suggest really talking to a Vet if you can, just for a second opinion or if he can't throw light on the situation, try a 3 day course(or longer ) of penicillin and see what happens. A sow off her food is not good, and your Boar as well a double wham, so you need to get something done soon. Good Luck!
  • Jamie Russell Member
    edited January 2010
    both pigs back to normal today ive put it down to cold weather its happened b4 but only over night. silos just been filed up all sow nuts are dry.pigs drank loads of fresh water yesterday but eating today thanks.
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Shame its wasn't always that easy, hey! At least alls good.