We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

How far along is she? (see pics)

NewbiePigManNewbiePigMan Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
Does anyone know how far along she may be?
I don't know when she was bred? No milk yet.
She is a gilt. I have a farrowing crate, but don't
want to put her in it too early!
DSC01057.jpg
DSC01055.jpg

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    With an udder line like that, not too far off. Max maybe three weeks. Just keep checking her udder, by pulling on he teats, from base to tip, to see if theres milk there. A sow, you can tell easily by doing this, but with gilts its a lot harder, as there isn't as much milk present just before farrowing. Usually their vulva swells up not long before hand as well and becomes redder. If she starts building a nest, thats also a very good indication, and getting restless. We always brought are gilts in to farrow a week before their due, but of course we had dates. Gilts generally farrow later than their date, even more so if they have a small litter. Just keep checking her udder and if you have any doubt, bring her in. Best to be safe than sorry!
  • NewbiePigManNewbiePigMan Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    In which teat do they generally first produce milk? The front or the back?
  • kyfarmerkyfarmer Member
    edited January 2010
    teats toward the front are better i think if you are going to go by this method but becareful as it always doesnt work as i have one that will expell tons of milk three to 4 weeks before shes due. its best as stevie g said watch for the changing of the vulva more so and watch for the nesting actions she will do this and it will be a dead give a way.just through a hunk of hay or straw in when she gets close she'll shred it up and pile it some where. good luck to you