We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

New to pigs/got sick pigs/help plz

VytannyVytanny Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
I got 2 male pigs that as of yesterday wont eat,,walks in circles, walks leaning to one side,,twitches and then falls all over the place,and are also weak. Can someone give me an idea on what is going on and what I can do about it!

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    "Middle ear" or Menigitis( most likely) is the problem, and penicillin is the cure. The sooner you do it the better, Duphamox being a very good drug to treat it.
    Short acting penicillin acts quickest, and needs to be given for 3 days( or longer if needed). Always read your instruction, and follow exactly so that it work effectively. These pigs also need to be given water twice a day untill well enough to drink by themselves. Stand up and hold over a trough( pig between legs, so it stays upright, or drench/water with a plastic bottle.
    Definetely need to treated them immediately for best result!!!!!!
  • VytannyVytanny Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Stevie G wrote:
    "Middle ear" or Menigitis( most likely) is the problem, and penicillin is the cure. The sooner you do it the better, Duphamox being a very good drug to treat it.
    Short acting penicillin acts quickest, and needs to be given for 3 days( or longer if needed). Always read your instruction, and follow exactly so that it work effectively. These pigs also need to be given water twice a day untill well enough to drink by themselves. Stand up and hold over a trough( pig between legs, so it stays upright, or drench/water with a plastic bottle.
    Definetely need to treated them immediately for best result!!!!!!
    Thank you,,we are giving the penicillin,, one pig is doing much better today. A local farmer near us said it was caused from the harsh cold snap we just had,, he said ours wasn't the only ones. Thank you so very much.