We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

feedng?

basherbasher Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
i give my 2 gilts which are about 10 months sow meal but was wondering if it is safe to feed them maze and barley?
i was also wodering if i would need a pig crate to breed them for the first time, if so would any1 in the northern ireland area have any for sale

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Barley and maize are OK to be feed, but must be put through a mill(ground), so they are able to digest it. You will also need the correct Vitamins and minerals in there diet inorder that your pigs remain healthy. This can be done either by buying a bag of Vits. & mins. and sprinkling over their feed or having it added at milling time. You will need to add another ingredient to maize and/or barley ie Soybean meal to balance it. Will be back soon about a pig hut.
    Are you talking about farrowing your two gilts or mating? I am still not 100 % sure what you mean?
  • basherbasher Member
    edited January 2010
    thank you for the advice my 2 gilts are saddleback x tamworth. I have them out in the field during the day and in at night, what would you suggest, would i be better putting them in a crate for a few days.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    What I you trying to achieve? Are both these gilts in-pig and soon to farrow? Normally sows/gilts are brought in to farrow a week before their farrowing date to give them time to acclimatize and they are feed less feed mixed with Bran or middings, to prevent constipation and reduce the chance of mastitis at farrowing. Can you explain more please as Iam not to sure what you are trying to do? Farrow or Mate? I was originally presuming that it was to farrow, but after reading it again wasn't to sure.
  • basherbasher Member
    edited January 2010
    im guna put the gilts into pig, i was guna cross them with a petrian boar to try and cut a bit of fat content out of the meat. have you any experience with the petrians? sorry i didnt explain better, i want to get everything sorted before i even bring a bore into my yard, i want to try and time it so that i cud put the weaners if i get any out in the better weather.
    if not petrian could you please suggest a type of boar that would suit my saddleback x pigs. sorry for all the questions but im really inexerienced, have you any idea how much i should pay for a second hand pig crate, thanks again:confused: