We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Transporting pigs

Piggly9Piggly9 Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
Hi all, I've recently agreed to take a female pig into the sanctuary (we rescue, raise, rehabilitate and release wild animals, as well as keeping some live stock), we have all of the housing, feed, CPH number etc set up but one thing we're stuck on....Transporting her! She's a baby pot bellied pig, 14 weeks so I'm told, and is being transported from a farm a couple of hours away, I'm assuming due to the laws this means we'll need some kind of license (other then the movement license...I mean one to tow a trailer of some sort) and a trailer? Can somebody clear this up for me please, and the best way to transport a pig of this age/size?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    A horse box would be a good option. I haven't had much to do with pot bellies, but I would presume shes still fairly small?(or maybe a cat/dog box and an estate car?)
    Documentation is needed to move pigs in the UK,so its best to get intouch with the relevant government body, which is or used to be MLC(meat and livestock commission?) or the department of agriculture???? Not been in the Uk for 5 years now, so its possible its all changed?