We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

New Pig Parent

BonnieGirl82BonnieGirl82 Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
Hi! about six months ago I came to own a little orphan Yorkshire piglet about three months old, she was the runt, and Im not sure what happened for her to be orphaned, but she needed a home so she came to live with me on the farm with all my other rescued babies. My vet vaccinated her, wormed her and she has been a joy to have around. Shes really become my little buddy, hanging around with me, "helping" with chores and rooting for hours in the back field. She will come to her name and thinks shes a dog.... :) Her best friend is our German Shepherd.....

Anyway, I have a question about her skin and coat....when i got here she was really flaky, scaly, dry and seemed to itch. When she came to me I bought a book and read it cover to cover, so I treated her for mange mites, wormed her, and I keep sunscreen on her so she can survive this Texas heat...She has a huge pen, a shaded wallow, a pig house that is heated in the winter and coole dinthe summer with tons of shavings for here to burrow in....(anyone think Im crazy yet???)

Her skin is my main concern, the flaky/scaliness hasnt subsided, and what I originally thought was sunburn Im now thinking is not......her tail is cracked and seems to be raw, and behind her ears she seems to have small spots like little scarbs......could this be parasites and she needs reworming? Is it mange mites and I need to retreat? She is an only pig and does not come incontact with other swine. Is this just a pig condition and Im only needing to rub her with lotion or add oil to her food? Could this be a dietary issue?? She eats table scraps but her main diet ishog grower/finisher. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    If its Mange, Ivomectin injectable works and also treats worms and Lice, or baby oil or Savlon for flaky skin, or Canola oil in her diet may help, or a deficiency or a Vit. or mineral in her diet may be the cause. Take your pick!
  • nicksdigsnicksdigs Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Welcome and congradulations on becoming a pigs best friend. I agree with Stevie G that adding oil to her diet and rubbing with maybe an aloe based lotion will take care of 90% of the problem but I don't think it will ever go 100% away. They only other concern I have is your feed. Unless you want a hippo you need to start your piggy on a "holding diet" to keep her in good health. Your piggy can live upto around 15 years with proper care that she doesn't get too big. After 500lbs the weight will start to effect her ability to get around as she gets older. Yes lots of breeding sow are over this weight but their life is short lived usually less than 6 years. We learned this late and now our "Babe" who is heading for 5 years old is about 700 lbs and is not as agile as she used to be. We have cut her feed to 7 lbs per day--about 3 lbs corn meal and 1/2 lb of 16% grower for vitamins/minerals twice a day. For treats we give her lettuce which she likes but keeps her weight down. She also gets 2nd cutting hay. Durning the summer she gets sweet corn with the other pigs but we cut her corn meal a little. You may notice that when she is in heat that she might be off her feed and may get "moody" with men. Babe is fine with my wife but will stalk me or other men and rub and head butt us and may even get "mouthy"--bitey with us until her cycle passes, but if I scold her she will go in her house and pout for a couple of hours. Your hut looks good but becareful building with treated wood because if she chews it can be poisonous. Larch or tammarck would be better. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Mark & Nicki @ nicksdigs
  • BonnieGirl82BonnieGirl82 Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for all the advice! Ive given her ivomectin and sprayed her hut. And her hut is made of cedar, so even if she did nibble there are no chemicals. :)

I try really hard to not ket my pig be.....well, a pig. She is very trim, and is at a great weight, not thin, but definately not porky....mind the pun :) She is incredibly agile, and always seems to impress with me with how fast she is and how auickly she can move herself. Shes hilarious. She's so smart, comes to her name, and cracks me up when she does her little pig wiggle when I scratch her back or butt. SHe shrieks and squeaks then runs around after me when I do my chores snorting and carrying on because she wants attention. SOme how I seem to have raised a codependent toddler pig. :)
    edited January 2010
    Ok, this site has been a wealth of info for me and Pig. A few more questions:
    I read on another post about giving milk to the pigs.......should I include this in Pig's diet? What are the health benefits?

Second question: Im feeding grower (i think 14% :confused: ) and a lot of "salad" :) you know, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and such. I also throw in some raw eggs shell and all fromm time to time. Pig also gets leftovers from our table/ I wouldnt consider it "slopping" its really not that much, just what we dont finish as a family of two......and Im not sure what "swill" is but I dont think that I do that..... Is this diet alright for her?

I read here on the site to feed cornmeal....does the grower give enough of that or do I need to add some to her daily feed??
    edited January 2010
    Oh and Pig is now taking a flintstone vitamin daily, along with some fish oil capsules and cod liver to help out her dry skin.
    edited January 2010
    Okay I took some pictures of Pig's skin this morning, it seems to be a little worse than it has been, but it might just be dirft collecting in the Corn Husker lotion i put on her back. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it? Is it mange? An allergy? Mites? Parasites or worms? She has been treated with ivomectin and before that fenbendazole.....is she lacking something in her diet or maybe something I am feeding is causing it? I had more pictures but it says that they are too big to post.....
    edited January 2010
    im pretty sure its mange, but it doesnt seem as if the Ivomec has helped. Maybe I didnt dose correctly? I didnt inject it, I gave her the injectable orally. If given orally, does the dosage differ? For a 150-175lb pig what does the dosage need to be?

Im planning on retreating her pen, and to continue to do so until I dont see anymore signs of a chronic infection. Can I treat with a dilute pyrethrin concentrate or is there a more affective product?
  • jimhiltonjimhilton Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    1 cc per 75# for ivomec.
    edited January 2010
    is it as effective if given orally or does it have to be injected?
    edited January 2010
    With oral dosing there is no guarantee that she will get the full amount. Better would be to inject it, as it more reliable. There are other spray/pour on products on the market if you don't like injecting.
    Really what you should have done is one thing at a time, not everything at once, so you know what the true problem is. Mange is not a killer, if it is Mange, so there's no need to panick. Steady, steady. Certainly what she has is not life threatening.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I didnt do everything at once, I did one thing after another didnt work. I would inject, but I have no way to restrain her! :)

Ill get some pour on and re-treat the hut as well. Thanks!!
    edited January 2010
    Then I beg your pardon, it just came over that way. I certainly don't think what she's got is life threatening, so don't panick too much, just try what you need to try. Things don't always work immediately either, especially if their dietery problems, so bare with it. Good Luck!