We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

pig wasting away.

RidderRidder Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
we have a group of 25 pigs with an age difference of 3 or 4 weeks so some bigger than others, all were eating and looking well, then one of the medium size pigs started losing weight and its skin looked pale, it never stopped eating, we wormed the whole lot again and injected that pig with antibiotics but it never got better, i found it dead this morning but the others are growing away nicely, could that one of had that pig wasting disese.?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    "One swallow does not make a summer", so the answer is NO. I've seen individuals in a pen do the same thing. It is a "immune-deficiecy" problem possibly connected to it getting insufficient colostrum in its first 12 hours after farrowing. Or it maybe disease related, caused maybe by Ecoli scour, or Ileitis, where by its intestinal lining has beed damaged in some way, so it is nolonger able to digest its feed properly. If it were to start effecting large numbers then start to worry, but in this instance I would not be too concerned.
  • RidderRidder Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Many thanks for your answer Stevie.