We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Our first gilt is farrowing HELP!

lynealbritishsaddlebackslynealbritishsaddlebacks Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
Hi all, any help is much appreciated! Our first ever piggy is begining farrowing.:eek: She is in here bedroom, not really making a nest but alot of mess. She is heavy breathing but not pushing yet. It has been 17 hours since this breathing and slight change in behaviour began. She is still very friendly but isnt wanting fuss. She ate all of her breakfast. It seems to me, from everything i have read that she is very close, but how long are they normally like this??
According to our dates she was due yesterday!
Any behavoiur advice is very welcome!!
Thank you all and happy new year!

Comments

• lukyluky Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Normally, if behaviour changes; like nesting and rooting around, farrowing is imminent, should happen within 6 hours. You can also check if she has milk, if she is has milk squirting from teats, she will farrow very shortly. At the same time, if she is eating her food and acting comfortably she should be okay. I've seen gilts go up to 118 - 120 days of gestation, but mostly they go closer to and earlier then normal gestating period of 115 days. Hope this helps.
  • lynealbritishsaddlebackslynealbritishsaddlebacks Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    thank you for your help. we are just waiting patiently now! not long to go i dont think!
    will let you know the outcome!!
    thanks again
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Gilts, as mentioned, are often late when farrowing. Gilts can also be a problem on their first farrowing, as they sometimes attack their piglets(savage) and can maim or kill them, so having Stresnil to hand is a good idea.(4 ml shot if needed). And because of their small cervix, they generally tend to have farrowing difficulties, which means they may need to be to have an internal done to get the pigs out. Lets hope it doesn't come to that. Building a nest and milk from their teats is usually a good sign that they are not far off farrowing, as mentioned. Good Luck.
  • lukyluky Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Hey blonde, there is milk and there is milk. Milk from all teats, to the point you can collect it and use for later, is a sure shot that farrowing is really close. I have often seen sow/gilts with milk up to a couple of days prior to farrowing, but it is not at same volume/velocity and is usually restricted to just front couple of teats. But all signs must be looked at before drawing a conclusion.