We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

outdoor pig finishing

tail bitertail biter Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
Having kept pigs many years ago(two tamworth sows and a boar outside)I have recently taken on some outside pens and woodland,in all about 3 acres.We slaughtered our first two pigs,Berkshires,summer reared,outside,in October,killing out at 60kgs,or near enough.
We didn't intend to keep any pigs through the winter but we were offered 3 Oxford Sandy and Black gilts for nothing!So rather than look a gift horse we took them.We started them off in a small pen with a good shed and when the weather turned wet they were turned out into the wood,mostly firs and pine with hazel and birch.They have a pen to come into for feeding where there is a good,well bedded shed,or they have the option of a bedded ark under the firs,which they tend to prefer!They were roughly 12wks when I got them and had not been wormed,also they were quite a handful!What would be an ideal killing weight for them?I thougfht about 85kgs?Perhaps someone could give me a clue.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Porks around 65 kg, cutters around 75kg, bacons around 85kg, and Heavy hog 95kg. Take your pick. We used to sell are pigs at 102kg(gilts) and 106kg(boars). So anything over 65kg.
  • Oxford-sandy-manOxford-sandy-man Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    I have to disagree with the above my personal preference is to kill at 90-100kg live weight which gives you a kill of between 55-70kg with the OSB.
    We breed and rear OSB's and find letting them go on for around 6 months gives great results - yours living in that environment should taste great traditionally being forest pigs they should be thriving!
    edited January 2010
    Yes Blonde, his other name is shearer!
    Those are typical weight ranges of pigs sold in the UK, from pork throught to Heavy Hog(55kg-125kg), and there would be nothing stopping tail biter selling at around 90kg. As I stated, we sold ares at 106kg, as that gained us the best price. It all depends on what tail biter wants, but it is possilbe to sell a pig between these weights, 90kg being one of them.
    edited January 2010
    Cull sows are usually sent at this weight for sauages, but sending castrates is something I never heard of. Selling a castrate at this weight would be maddness, as your price per Kg would not be good. What a waste of time and money.