We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

truck wash wastewater recycling

JensJens Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Vets and Producers
Hi,
does anyone know of suppliers or systems for treating wastewater from washing pig transport trucks. We would like to be able to reuse the wash wastewater for multiple washing cycles or maybe for cooling towers.

Have any of you heard of such systems?

Thank You!

Comments

• nicksdigsnicksdigs Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    How much room do you have? and how much do you want to spend?
    I know I'm going to catch flack on this but here goes. I'd start with a sediment tank to drop out the heavier stuff then run the water thru a sand-charcoal filter and then treat with chlorine or another bacteria killer to prevent contamination. In the USA they used to sell a home model of a sewage treatment plant for homes near water. I'll look on the net and see what I can find for you.
    nicksdigs
  • JensJens Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    @ Nicksdigs -Thank you for the help and suggested solution.
    We have plenty of room for this system. There are potentially very large savings to be made due to our high expenses related to the wastewater, but i had imagined that it could be done for less than 50.000$..? The system needs to have a capacity of approximately 10m3/h (44gpm).

Is no one specialized in this field? Do I need to contact normal wastewater treatment companies for a custom fit solution?
  • nicksdigsnicksdigs Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    You don't say which country you are from so I don't know what might be available in your area. Here in USA we have contractors that do specialize in these type systems. You could check with landfils in your areas maybe to find contractors or at least liners for pond bottoms. Lining your bottoms helps prevent two things water loss to soil absorption and ground water contamination. You can line with a plastic liner or clay. If you are trying to recover as much water as possible you may want to cover ponds as you will lose a lot to evaporation. As blonde says your sludge from the sediment pond could be sold as fertilizer to help cover cost. If you can set ponds up to gravity feed from #1 to #2 to #3 you should only need a pump in #3 and maybe a sludge pump in #1. A quick consult with an engineering firm should give you pond demensions. I've got a friend I'll ask is 44gpm x 12 hours x 6 days close? If you are buying water I would try to head or divert all rain water to sediment pond could be thousands of gallons of free water a year.
    Hope this is more help.
    nicksdigs
  • JensJens Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks again nicksdigs, i am from Denmark. I think sedimentation ponds are a good solution for the first step but i think the water might need further filtering and disinfection. We have strict rules and the trucks have to be disinfected (using water and chemicals) after each pig transportation. The recycled water therefore has to have a certain standard i guess. I am not sure if you could just add more chemicals and thats why i am looking for a company that specializes in exactly this niche area. It could be interesting to know american contractors you know? They might be able to do service internationally.
    Rainwater is a great idea as this is much cleaner to begin with, but we do no have sufficient roof collection area to provide stabile water production (even with buffer tanks) and in dry periods we would have to use expensive tap water.
    44gpm x 12 x 6 is a good estimate. Thank you very much for your interest and help!
  • ozzy_pig_farmerozzy_pig_farmer Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    http://www.biocyclejowagroup.com.au/biocycle/index.html

This type of self-contained anaerobic waste water treatment systems are becoming very popular in rural areas of Australia where connections to common household effluent systems aren't available. A typical unit for treating waste for a standard household is about AU$10,000. There may be something similar available in Denmark.
  • HydratechHydratech Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Hello I think that first filtration is necessairy for muds.
    The water that will stay is then desinfectable with economic process, this process no need only of salt (NaCl).
    This allows you to make a biocide in the detergent and especially disinfecting power.
    In France this process ENVIROLYTE is distributed seen by WWW.ocene.fr can join them.
    Greetings