ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

pcv vaccine... why not the sow?

chinitoe Junior Member
edited December 2009 in PMWS and PDNS
my question is, if Merial circovac is injected to sows so the piglet gets colostrum... why not use fort dodge and inject the sows also? it will be a whole lot cheaper.

when i ask a fort dodge rep, he said he cant recommend that coz that is not in their patent. thats a lame answer IMO. but if you think of it, .. suvacxyn can protect the piglets, why not the sows?

i smell something fishy here... i think they made some deals or agreements here before teh others got the licence to sell.

we all know that when you vaccinate sow, they pass it on thru colostrum, if merials pcv vac can do it... why cant others?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2009
    That doesn't apply to every vaccine, only certain one's. You can't inject Parvac(against Smedi, a Virus, which cause reproductive problems) to the sow and expect it to give immunity to a piglet. As that does not happen. Likewise with Pneumonia, the piglet has to be vaccinated, as it won't happen via the sows milk. Only certain ones, such as Ecoli scour, or clostridial scour etc.
  • chinitoe Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    hi stevie g, i agree to some vaccine like mycoplasma cant be passed on, but if pcv vac of 1 brand can be passed on, why not the other brands??? it should mean that pcv vac can be passed on thru milk but they are claiming otherwise. get it? and i havent read a study that tried to study if it can be passed on or not, or maybe theyre just hiding it. im sure its almost basic for them to study the simplest form of immunity.
    edited December 2009
    All you need to do is have a good read of the instruction. Get inform. on the product their selling, and make your mind up, or better still get a vets advice.(pig Vet that is!) They will certainly at times, try to hood wink you, theres no doubt about that. Of course, different makes do different things, and not all vaccines are the same.
  • chinitoe Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    thanks for your thoughts stevie:)
    edited December 2009
    Which 2 vaccines are they exactly, as I would like a read.
  • chinitoe Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    merial has a sow vaccine, while fort dodge has a piglet vac.
  • RicardoNeto Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi,

The vaccines available are quite different (to some extent) Merial vaccine is a whole virus that is inactivated, BI and Intervet includes the main immunogenic protein of PCV2 in another virus that is easier to grow and FD is a chimera, the same most immunogenic protein of PCV2 (present in BI and Intervet) included on PCV1.
    As important as the antigen (what stimulates immunity against PCV2) is the adjuvant and that will determin to a great extent the way the vaccines work and immunity development and duration of immunity.
    There is a study from Opriessnig T. (2009) where Circovac and a piglet vaccine are compared. One of the conclusions is that the piglet vaccine would not be sufficient to induce passively acquired protecive immunity and piglet vaccination would likely need to be done.

Hope this helps.

KD Ricardo
    edited December 2009
    This is the thing, that even if you vaccinate the sow, the pigs won't necessarily get passive immunity, as with your vaccines. You can do it with types of scours,etc, but in this instance, it can't be done, so you have to vaccinate both.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books