We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Arthritis Treatment

ZebZeb Junior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
I have a thirteen year old (obviously pet) Berkshire pig. We live in France, the local vet already thinks I'm an alien for having a pet pig and not making lots of sausages, so I only want to call him out as a last resort. Is there any treatments I can buy (hopefully on line) to aid with arthritis please? Drugs or alternative - anything anyone can recommend would be great. I've found products for dogs, cats and horses but not for pigs.

Many thanks

Comments

• nicksdigsnicksdigs Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    A lot of human meds are tested on pigs and some pigs are raised for heart valves. So I agree with blonde and try the Glucosomine just remember that your pig is at least twice your size but maybe start with normal dose to check for ill effects. Good Luck and tell your vet that pigs are the best pets and he needs to get with the program.
    nicksdigs
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Really don't see why you don't use drugs they use on humans to treat your pig, after all they have the same constitution. I also think that any meat off this pig would be very tough. Like chewing on a "rubber sole", so any idea of making sausages out of him would be daft. Failing the normal drugs like porcillis cobactin and Tiamutin, you could try magic mushrooms or the old "whacky backy". Just don't stand too close to him just incase he falls, otherwise it might be you that needs treatment!
  • nicksdigsnicksdigs Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    If it was just me Stevie G I would let it slide but there are too many
    "HIPPY DIPPY'S" out there that are too stoned that have no idea what "Wacky Backy" is. With a stoner you need to add the "Ta" or they will be lost for hours and really mess up their day. But other wise great advice as always.
    nicksdigs
    edited December 2009
    Its what is known as whacking the wrong button with my big fat fingers! I should imagine that someone who's on that shite, tends to speak a bit like that any way. Hepty Nuw Yeor!
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    I dont have that problem!

I would use one of the dog treatments as he is only a pet and it might just make a differenced to the way the pig gets around.
    edited January 2010
    I don't really recommend it atall, as I don't touch the stuff and it was ment in jest, but was just saying that humans with arthritic problems use it as a means of dealing with this problem(illegal of course!) You could of course mix it in the pigs feed rather than try to get him to smoke it, as it would be a whole lot easier!(Ho, Ho)
    edited January 2010
    Or you can have the boring version. Drugs to be use for arthritis in humans/pigs: Abatacept, Biologics, Doxycycline, Glucosamine, Adenosylmethione, Oral or transdermal opioids, corticosteroids, placebo, Metacam, Methotrexate. What you use for humans can be used for pigs, so take your pick!
    edited January 2010
    As last resort, anything worth a try!