We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

working boar

Jamie RussellJamie Russell Member
edited August 2009 in Pig Tales and Stories
hi all need a bit of advice really.
ive invested in a golden arrow saddleback boar to put to my gilts, the thing is my boar weighs 450 lbs and my gilts are 200-220ilbs will they withstand the boar or not

Comments

• Jamie RussellJamie Russell Member
    edited May 2009
    hes only 18 months old a full pedigree golden arrow hes got loads of life in him yet.
    would you think hes ok to put to my gilts and has this been done before and what was the out come
    edited May 2009
    thanks for that advice but it still dosent answer my question of will i be able to put my boar to my gilts.
    some breeders i know still put there 4 to 5 year old boars to sows with excellent results.
    edited May 2009
    i might try him to the gilts first , my gilts are quite big i think they will withstand him. thanks for the advice gang.:)
    edited August 2009
    hes done the buiss with the guilt and shes in pig
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    hes done the buiss with the guilt and shes in pig
    When will the guilt farrow?
  • wilmerwilmer Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    hey, our boar is huge compared to our sows and he manages to service them fine. the only thing you need to watch is when u are putting them back to gether once the piglets have been weaned. u must give the sow at least 4 days until she goes back with the boar as she needs to strengthen her bones and put on some weight. We learnt this the hard way and the sow managed to get to the boar and he tried to service her and he broke her back, very sad as we had raised her ourselves. Its something to do with the sows not having enough calcium in their bones after they have fed their piglets i think.

Hope this helps