We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pig processing

Gunner04Gunner04 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in Pig Tales and Stories
How large does a pig need to be to get good size bacon and ribs? I recently had one of my pigs processed. He weighed 187lbs (this was my first experience raising a pig to eat). My meat processor guy said the pig was not large enough to get bacon or ribs. He said the cuts would not have much meat. Looking at the pig, I'm not entirely convinced. He said 400lbs is an ideal weight for bacon and ribs. I know the ideal weight for processing is 250-300lbs.
After speaking with several other experienced people, I'm getting information that contradicts what my meat processing guy told me.
Does anyone have a clear answer?

Comments

• Gunner04Gunner04 Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    So, I have a sow. At what weight will I get bacon and ribs?
  • Gunner04Gunner04 Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for the information. I will look for a new meat processor.
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Stevie G wrote:
    The pig you had cut up was a bacon pig. Sorry i didn't explain it too well. As i mention prior, bacon pigs are sold at 85kg- 110kg. (187lb-233lb)
    If you grow it to 400lb ( 200kg) you would have a sow. The guy was obviously taking out of his rear end!
    What happens to old sows after they have finished breeding and are sent to the slaughter house. What do they do with the meat. Is is not suitable for makeing bacon?
  • Sundrop7Sundrop7 Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    Most sows sent to slaughter are used for sausage. While some parts such as the ribs are cut out for sale and select muscles in the ham are seperated out to be used in processed ham making.
    edited August 2009
    Sundrop7 wrote:
    Most sows sent to slaughter are used for sausage. While some parts such as the ribs are cut out for sale and select muscles in the ham are seperated out to be used in processed ham making.
    Barrows are a better bet for sausages than old sows, because there has been no hormone content been allowed to contaminate the meat.
  • Sundrop7Sundrop7 Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    When I said processed ham I'm referring to the ham you would buy that has been chopped up, formed into a loaf, and thinly sliced. Also, sows are used for sausages because they have a higher fat content. If you look at the US sow markets you see that a 500 lb. sow will bring more than 400 lb. sow because the processors want the fat.
    edited August 2009
    Stevie G wrote:
    You've got it girl!
    What does this mean Stevie.....Is blonde right with her comments about the old sows. What other things can be done with the old girls any way. What happens to their inids and does the skin become leather. and what happens to thier bones?